seized pstons

CHAZZ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
well now im down to the brakes on my 73 tx650 renovation,what ive found is the front brake pistons are locked solid,ive tried soaking them in penetrating fluid etc and tried using my compressor to no joy. hell ive even took it to local car garage and they cant shift them,is there another way or is it time for drastic measures :banghead: cheers chazz

The thing you'll need to ask yourself; if they are REALLY stuck what's the point of freeing them? what useable parts will you get out of the operation?
gggGary who gets more stubborn than frozen brake pistons when it comes to rescuing parts :grin:
Do the search find the threads report how it goes for you!
A couple hints use a c-clamp, start movement by moving them IN a bit, then push out with air or grease repeat gaining a bit more movement each time. Split the caliper bolt it back together "butterfly" style. When one piston is moving, hold it in place with a c-clamp, get the other one loose before letting either one come all the way out. Use caution, a piston with compressed air behind it can do the cannon ball thing in your shop.

A couple hints use a c-clamp, start movement by moving them IN a bit, then push out with air or grease

Grease, is the answer. If the grease gun won't break it free, it's unlikely that anything will. If you can attach it to a hydraulic ram, hydraulic fluid will be easier to clean up than grease.

thanks guys ive decided on getting a new caliper,but rest assured im not letting the old one defeat me,in the words of arnie "i'll be back" :)

Attachments

• stilson.jpg
    stilson.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 273
Back