Sensible engine decision (now top end refresh)

Is Clutch better ?
I have replaced bushings once was difficult to get out
Perhaps the plastic bottle hook cleaner on the fork seals
No, the clutch still slips. I have to replace it.
I don’t have tools or patience to remove bronze bushings.
I could try the plastic scraper, but it’s both forks and the seals are over 20 years old, at least.

Marty, the Harbor Freight blind hole bearing puller set would probably set you back less than having a shop pull those bushings. I showed the setup for using the tool to extract bronze swingarm bushings a few issues back in the 650 Society News. I think John has back issues archived on the club web site.

Marty, the Harbor Freight blind hole bearing puller set would probably set you back less than having a shop pull those bushings. I showed the setup for using the tool to extract bronze swingarm bushings a few issues back in the 650 Society News. I think John has back issues archived on the club web site.
Thank you! I'll check into it. If I see you in Mountain View, all the better!

Might see you in Townsend in September, but even after our second doses of vaccine, Ann and I are still staying away from restaurants and public gatherings. Call me a wuss, but there are some pretty nasty variants out there, and the rate of infection is accelerating in a lot of places. Hope everybody has a fine time; wish I could see my way clear to join you. (BTW the trick is to remove the slide hammer and use the threaded end of the rod, a pipe, and a stack of spacers to pull the bushing out of the swingarm.)

even after our second doses of vaccine, Ann and I are still staying away from restaurants and public gatherings. Call me a wuss, but there are some pretty nasty variants out there, and the rate of infection is accelerating in a lot of places.
My elderly parents are playing it the same way and I take some comfort in that. Be well, Dick.

2A6BD723-F7A1-4CB4-9A3C-FB3D1BAE9D7F.jpeg

I have over 1500 mile on it. It runs great! No leaks. I am so very happy. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys!

Curious about the clutch -- is it still slipping ..??
If so perhaps a fine adjustment with the wheel in the Air foot against the Tire method

I think he fixed that with an Alto 7 plate conversion.
During this process I installed new Vesrah clutch springs. Skipping ahead, what cured the slipping clutch was indeed the seven plate Alto conversion.
I still have items that need attention, but for the time being, I’m riding it.

View attachment 184514
This chain breaker/riveting tool is garbage. It was cheap. I should know better. Don’t waste $20 or whatever it was on it.

View attachment 184515
The metal is too soft to push a rivet out, and too soft for installation.

View attachment 184516
I had to finish the job with a dolly and a 2 oz. ball peen hammer. I’m pretty unhappy.
2E5CC3E2-DD94-4211-9156-CD04784DAA3C.jpeg

I have replaced the rivet pin with one from Motion Pro. I also ordered the cutting pin, both on Amazon. So, I might get use out of the tool at under $40. I still don’t recommend this cheap set. It didn’t work once.

I think you'll like the MP rivet tip at least. I've found it works very well. I don't bother with the breaker part on the small sized cam chain, I just grind the riveted heads off the link and tap it out.

First thing you can try is just removing the housing and buffing the end of the cam clean and shiny with a Scrotchbrite pad. That will often fix a minor leak. If it doesn't work then I guess a seal replacement will be needed. I recommend getting the seal from Yamaha. They are now selling the original 5mm thick seal that was used on the very early models. It sits in farther than a 6mm or 7mm thick seal would so gets more and better "purchase" on the end of the cam.

Back