1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Several XS650 (G?) wiring questions - no headlight, no indicators and more!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sidkn33, Apr 11, 2020.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Your alternator looks original but the wire windings inside look new. I mean, look how clean they are compared to the rest of the thing. Also, the original windings were coated with epoxy, yours look bare .....

[​IMG]

So, maybe your stator was rebuilt, rewound, and if that's the case then they could have very well left that yellow wire out. Also, your slip rings are terribly dirty and should be cleaned.

2. sidkn33

sidkn33 XS650 Member

UK
    Thanks - sorry, but which parts are the "slip rings"?
    Also, any idea why someone re-winding a stator would leave out the yellow wire - as has been pointed out, several times, this is a pretty important wire....
    The bike was pretty much standard when I got it, other than having been sat (in the Californian sun) for some years.
    My point is, it seems unlikely to me that a bike with 13k miles on it, that was left sat and a bit neglected, would have had a stator rewind - recent enough, for the windings to still look fairly new.
    It's all too voodoo for me.

3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The yellow wire doesn't effect the operation of the stator. It's not required for it to work, it's just a sensor wire added to operate those safety relays. If the P.O. didn't inform the rewind shop about this wire and it's function, they very well may have left it out because they didn't see or know of the need for it.

The slip rings are the copper rings on the rotor that the carbon brushes make contact with. As the carbon brushes wear away, they turn the rings all black. The brushes don't make good contact anymore once the rings get real dirty and eventually may lose contact completely. When that happens, charging stops. Here's the rings on mine. I've cleaned the outer one but the inner is still dirty .....

[​IMG]

And here's both clean .....

[​IMG]

To clean them, I simply "polish" them clean with a rag dipped in Chrome cleaner. They clean up quickly and easily.

4. sidkn33

sidkn33 XS650 Member

UK
    That's really helpful (both about the yellow wire's purpose and the stator cleaning tips and photos) - thank you

5. sidkn33

sidkn33 XS650 Member

UK
    So, only a year later, I finally sorted out the electrics and all it took, was a new loom.
    And a new indicator relay.
    And a new battery.
    Now I just have to work out why my battery isn't being recharged and fit a headlight switch so that there's less drain on the battery (and charging) because of a permanently lit headlight.
    And stop my clutch from slipping.
    And adjust the idle/throttle setup.
    etc

Team Junk likes this.
  6. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

On the charging, have you read the charging system guide. It can be found up in the TECH section.
    Just click the TECH button and scroll down. You can find a lot of stuff in there.
    Leo

Team Junk likes this.
  7. sidkn33

sidkn33 XS650 Member

UK
    Hi Leo,
    Thanks - yes, I've glanced at it and plan on checking everything over ASAP, multi-meter in hand.

Team Junk likes this.
  8. Sounds like the new loom was a good choice. Reading through these posts, made me think of all the alterations I have made to the harness on my bike. I have kept notes for myself but I guess I should pity the next owner. Hang in there.