shell engine

aaronw

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
does any one know where to get work done on a shell engine in wisconsin?

here is a pic of my new xs1b the pic with the blue on the tank was before my uncle tried to restore it.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 312
Welcome! Looks like you’re about 4 hours from me. We have a few members on this site from Wisconsin; hopefully one of them will be able to help you find a place. What work do you need done? What's the story on the bike?

my father use to race this bike in the late seventies at long beach, perris. san berdoo, and a couple times at ascott. it has a shell thuet 750 in it but it is old and needs new gaskets and seals. still runs greatbut needs the carbs adjusted.

yeah, it sat at my house for about ten years then i got it running for about a week and a snapped the clutch cable and it sat for another seven years till now.my dad had it dyno'd in the mid 80's it was 126 hp and ithink it was around 180 ft lb of torque

haha.. yeah that can't be right. :)

Stories of old dyno numbers get an additional couple of horsepower added every year it seems. :wink2:

Get that baby back into tip-top shape and throw it back on the dyno then post the chart here! :thumbsup:

Even if you don't get it dynoed, I hope you get it running again so you can enjoy it. Did you ever find a place that you'd trust to get the work done on it? Ever thought about trying to do it yourself?

I thought some with 750 kits, and a lot of head work and valves were getting closer to 75hp. Could have read that wrong somewhere though.

Then there’s the couple of guys running turbos. Anyone know of a nitrous or supercharged XS650?

I believe the 70+ is a calculated number, not an actual dyno reading. Dynos are heart breakers. My advice is, don't put your 650 on a dyno and then just go ahead and make up a number to tell your friends ! :)

Yeah I figured those 75hp numbers are somewhat calculated since they're getting the actual numbers off the rear wheel and not the crank. I imagine they try to calculate the drivetrain loss and figure the engine HP from that to get the ~75hp figure.

I thought some with 750 kits, and a lot of head work and valves were getting closer to 75hp. Could have read that wrong somewhere though.

Then there's the couple of guys running turbos. Anyone know of a nitrous or supercharged XS650?

my dragbike is both turboed and nitrous injected. never had on a dyno
have run 10.33 @ 133mph. weights 680 with me on it.
Cowboy

crash, I think it would be fun to do a turbo project too.... with fuel injection. I'm waiting for Yamaha Chop to finish his so I can benefit from all of his hard work getting it all figured out. :D :devil:

A turbo trike would be cool for your brother. :thumbsup:

yeah i was thinking that to ,let yamaha chop work out all the bugs:devil::poke:then build lol.might have to start out with a stock trike for my bro until he gets back on it then soup it up:yikes:

Back