Shift shaft chain guard

Received my 2 shaft protector`s today. Excellent product for sure.:thumbsup:
DSCN0131.JPG

Last winter when putting my original engine back in my XS2 I had a small problem. My shift shaft chain guard was toast. Pretty typical.
View attachment 169806
I remembered Signal had posted a pic on a guard he had made. Did some searching and found it.
View attachment 169807
Did some research on a material to use and settled on Delrin. Ordered some and made a couple of them.
Installed one on my bike It fit nicely except for the wire to the alternator, no room for them to run in the original position. Had to reroute them under the shaft. Didn't like that real well but it was worth testing.
upload_2020-3-15_14-5-24-png.161931

View attachment 169808
That presented a new problem. It's still winter here. I managed to get out for a few short rides, not near enough for a good test. What to do, what to do. I needed a test rider in a warm area.
About then Mailman was putting a big honken chain on his bike and having a clearance problem with the factory guard. PMd him and asked if he would like to try one of these. He did. Sent him one. He installed and tested it but like me he did not like the way the wiring had to be rerouted. Back to the drawing board.
New design. 2 piece.
View attachment 169810
It works well. Allows the wiring to be routed in the original position. The one below has been in my bike for 1500 miles, I purposely have been running the chain looser than it should be. It shows where the chain has been hitting on it.
View attachment 169811
All in all I think it works very well. If anyone is interested I can post all the dimensions.
Or if anyone wants to buy one I would sell them. $12 + shipping.
I would like to purchase one from you, please send me details grubaughdaniel@gmail.com. My address is 1021 Road M Redwood Valley, CA 95470 707-472-8372

No hurry on my end just get the word out when you have them

Last winter when putting my original engine back in my XS2 I had a small problem. My shift shaft chain guard was toast. Pretty typical.
View attachment 169806
I remembered Signal had posted a pic on a guard he had made. Did some searching and found it.
View attachment 169807
Did some research on a material to use and settled on Delrin. Ordered some and made a couple of them.
Installed one on my bike It fit nicely except for the wire to the alternator, no room for them to run in the original position. Had to reroute them under the shaft. Didn't like that real well but it was worth testing.
upload_2020-3-15_14-5-24-png.161931

View attachment 169808
That presented a new problem. It's still winter here. I managed to get out for a few short rides, not near enough for a good test. What to do, what to do. I needed a test rider in a warm area.
About then Mailman was putting a big honken chain on his bike and having a clearance problem with the factory guard. PMd him and asked if he would like to try one of these. He did. Sent him one. He installed and tested it but like me he did not like the way the wiring had to be rerouted. Back to the drawing board.
New design. 2 piece.
View attachment 169810
It works well. Allows the wiring to be routed in the original position. The one below has been in my bike for 1500 miles, I purposely have been running the chain looser than it should be. It shows where the chain has been hitting on it.
View attachment 169811
All in all I think it works very well. If anyone is interested I can post all the dimensions.
Or if anyone wants to buy one I would sell them. $12 + shipping.
I need one of these parts, what should I do to order it from you?
Dan G Grubaughdaniel@gmail.com

I'm sorry right now I'm out of stock and have no material to make any more. If I should get more material I'll let you know.
Greg J.

Great idea and fine execution, Greg! If you're making a list, put me down for a set. Following Gary's tip I have some tungsten dioxide powder in a thick suspension with 90% alcohol that does a nice job of putting a slippery dry lube coating on steel, plastic, and rubber. I'd like to see what it would do applied to the harness cover, OD of the harness guard, and flanges of the two pieces.

I've got 15 more made.
If you would like one or more PM me.
Price is still $13.50 each plus $8.70 for shipping.
Material prices have gone up I'll eat that. Shipping also went up that's on you.
If you buy more than one shipping stays the same.

Back