Shift shaft chain guard

I've got 15 more made.
If you would like one or more PM me.
Price is still $13.50 each plus $8.70 for shipping.
Material prices have gone up I'll eat that. Shipping also went up that's on you.
If you buy more than one shipping stays the same.
Yes, I would like to purchase one, how do you want me to order/pay?

Received mine Monday. Great design, great material selection, fine workmanship, worth much more than the price. Thanks, Greg!

@GLJ I would like two if you can ship at reasonable cost to UK to the UK?

There is no reasonable way to ship them across the pond. Sorry
For the record, shipping something of this size and weight to the UK is $17. It's incredibly simple to do. GLJ, if you are interested, PM me, I'll show you how.

Nylatron® GS Molybdenum disulphide filled nylon
Hopefully, that got your attention. Bear with me for a couple of paragraphs, and I'll explain.

A few weeks ago, I got a treasure trove of 15-25 year-old XS650 ephemera. Among the items was this sheet of paper:

Untitled-1.jpg
It's been posted here before. Credit to Goran Perrson of New Zealand, who I guess was the originator.
Note that he spec'd Nylon Molybdenum Disulphide Rod.

DSC07023.JPG
There was another copy of the drawing that had hand-written notes on it.

DSC07021.JPG
Finally, there was this invoice. Couple things of interest to note. The drawing is dated December, 2004. The invoice is from 6 months later, June 2005.
Also note that the handwritten notes, and the invoice, specify 1-1/4" rod. Unnecessary. What you want, is 1" rod, which is what GLJ has been using.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=26469&catid=668
U. S. Plastics still sells it, and the part number is still the same as on the invoice, 47837 for 1-1/4" rod. Price has gone up from $5.10 per foot to $12.44 per foot for the 1-1/4".

I have used Delrin for this very purpose, as a drive chain rub block, and is excellent. But after noting that Nylon MDS (Molybdenum Disulphide) was originally spec'd, I had to do some research.

https://www.emcoplastics.com/acetal... is a type of,Excellent dimensional stability
As the above explains, Delrin is actually Acetal. Delrin is DuPont's Acetal. Acetron is Mitsubishi's Acetal. They are pretty much the same, and cost pretty much the same. I write this so that we can compare apples to apples.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=26468&catid=668
1" diameter Nylon MDS is $7.40 per foot from U. S. Plastics.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=27722
1" diameter Acetron (Delrin) is $9.47 per foot from U. S. Plastics.
I checked another supplier. Nylon MDS is cheaper than Delrin. But, it's not about cost. It's about performance.

Delrin and Nylon MDS are almost identical on the Rockwell scale.
Nylon MDS has a higher melting point: 225°F versus 180°F for Delrin -- I think this is relevant in a friction application, such as ours.
Quoting the interweb here:
"The addition of particles of molybdenum disulfide enhances the surface lubricity and wear resistance over unfilled Nylon. In applications requiring high lubricity, this material may also offer additional property enhancements."

In summation: I would like to test and compare a Nylon MDS chain guard if GLJ will make it for me.
GLJ -- sending you a PM.

This may be of interest to some interested in this chain guide: Instead of routing the alternator cabling over the top and behind the guide, I've routed mine along the starter gear cover. So the guide is a slightly different shape as it doesn't need to accommodate the alternator cabling. It is normally clamped to the lower screw on the cover, then routes up behind the lower, rear engine mounts, so is nowhere near the chain.

I did a DIY PMA conversion some time ago and mounted the combined reg/rect at the rear of the battery carrier, so my cabling is different and may be longer, but that's not an insurmountable problem.

Attachments

• WIN_20220814_16_57_28_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220814_16_57_28_Pro.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 134
  • WIN_20220814_16_57_43_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220814_16_57_43_Pro.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 134
Last winter when putting my original engine back in my XS2 I had a small problem. My shift shaft chain guard was toast. Pretty typical.
View attachment 169806
I remembered Signal had posted a pic on a guard he had made. Did some searching and found it.
View attachment 169807
Did some research on a material to use and settled on Delrin. Ordered some and made a couple of them.
Installed one on my bike It fit nicely except for the wire to the alternator, no room for them to run in the original position. Had to reroute them under the shaft. Didn't like that real well but it was worth testing.
upload_2020-3-15_14-5-24-png.161931

View attachment 169808
That presented a new problem. It's still winter here. I managed to get out for a few short rides, not near enough for a good test. What to do, what to do. I needed a test rider in a warm area.
About then Mailman was putting a big honken chain on his bike and having a clearance problem with the factory guard. PMd him and asked if he would like to try one of these. He did. Sent him one. He installed and tested it but like me he did not like the way the wiring had to be rerouted. Back to the drawing board.
New design. 2 piece.
View attachment 169810
It works well. Allows the wiring to be routed in the original position. The one below has been in my bike for 1500 miles, I purposely have been running the chain looser than it should be. It shows where the chain has been hitting on it.
View attachment 169811
All in all I think it works very well. If anyone is interested I can post all the dimensions.
Or if anyone wants to buy one I would sell them. $12 + shipping.
HI, can you post me the dimensions for the shift shaft guard please, would appreciate it,
regards,

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply, unfortunately the dimensions are too blurred to make out, could you send me a clearer view please,
regards

Last winter when putting my original engine back in my XS2 I had a small problem. My shift shaft chain guard was toast. Pretty typical.
View attachment 169806
I remembered Signal had posted a pic on a guard he had made. Did some searching and found it.
View attachment 169807
Did some research on a material to use and settled on Delrin. Ordered some and made a couple of them.
Installed one on my bike It fit nicely except for the wire to the alternator, no room for them to run in the original position. Had to reroute them under the shaft. Didn't like that real well but it was worth testing.
upload_2020-3-15_14-5-24-png.161931

View attachment 169808
That presented a new problem. It's still winter here. I managed to get out for a few short rides, not near enough for a good test. What to do, what to do. I needed a test rider in a warm area.
About then Mailman was putting a big honken chain on his bike and having a clearance problem with the factory guard. PMd him and asked if he would like to try one of these. He did. Sent him one. He installed and tested it but like me he did not like the way the wiring had to be rerouted. Back to the drawing board.
New design. 2 piece.
View attachment 169810
It works well. Allows the wiring to be routed in the original position. The one below has been in my bike for 1500 miles, I purposely have been running the chain looser than it should be. It shows where the chain has been hitting on it.
View attachment 169811
All in all I think it works very well. If anyone is interested I can post all the dimensions.
Or if anyone wants to buy one I would sell them. $12 + shipping.
is this something you still make? if so any left ? would love a couple of sets

Back