Shifting and kickstart problem

grimmvonallen

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to this thread. Just bought a 75 xs650 not running so I have been fixing things here and there but I came across a problem that I'm not used to lmao. I cannot get it to go into 1st, 4th and 5th gear. I've adjusted the clutch cable, the adjusting nut, I replaced the clutch plates and springs and I hoped that would solve it. Its still having trouble shifting though. Then with the kick start it lurches forward when in gears and kicks over in neutral (good good) but only with the clutch engaged. Lamens terms if I don't hold in the clutch lever the engine kicks over if I pull the clutch lever the kick lever moves freely. It has the tcbros pma system in it and i added the battery eliminating capacitor but I bought a battery to try the starter to see if it would run that way. Anyways long story short trouble shifting and the kick start moves freely when I hold the clutch lever in. I'm mechanically inclined but I'm no pro hopefully you guys have some insight. Thanks.

Last edited:
easy one first; that's exactly how the kick starter should work. the path from kicker to motor goes through the clutch.
On shifting is this with the bike running?

Oh lmao well shoot thats good hot dog. This is my first kickstart. The bike isn't running yet. I tested the starter and it works so I'm going to try and see if that can get it running. Its bobbed out so all the wiring is crazy.

OK more good news the tranny won't shift unless A the engine is running, bike rolling or B if you rock the output sprocket back and forth while you work the shifter, you prolly don't have any tranny problems either. :thumbsup:

Awesome thank you so much for the good news and for the understanding lmao I feel like a dunse now. Everything is either rebuilt or in good condition as far as I know. I just have to fumble around with the wiring and get her running.

OK more good news the tranny won't shift unless A the engine is running, bike rolling or B if you rock the output sprocket back and forth while you work the shifter, you prolly don't have any tranny problems either. :thumbsup:
Gary could you elaborate on this some more? I tried my shifter today with the bike not running and it felt like it was not catching. So the bike needs to be on? It just was kinda droopy hanging there. Any help?

Gary could you elaborate on this some more? I tried my shifter today with the bike not running and it felt like it was not catching. So the bike needs to be on? It just was kinda droopy hanging there. Any help?
The gear dogs will not engage one another unless the jackshaft & main shaft are rotating. ie you will most likely not be able to shift into 3-5 unless your are rotating the back tire. Put the bike up on the center stand or pancake jack and rotate the bake tire back and forth while shifting through the gears. If your shifter is "droopy" and is not sprung thats a different problem. That could mean your return spring is off or broken. Does it return to center?

Also, as @gggGary mentioned while the rear tire rotating when kicking does not indicate a problem. You are supposed to be kick starting the bike with it in neutral so the rear wheel doesn't rotate and the bike doesn't take off without a rider. Don't try to start it in gear...

The gear dogs will not engage one another unless the jackshaft & main shaft are rotating. ie you will most likely not be able to shift into 3-5 unless your are rotating the back tire. Put the bike up on the center stand or pancake jack and rotate the bake tire back and forth while shifting through the gears. If your shifter is "droopy" and is not sprung thats a different problem. That could mean your return spring is off or broken. Does it return to center?
Yeah it will click in to place but I had to reset the Kickstarter spring not too long ago .the spring located on the right by the clutch basket?
No does not return to center

Yeah it will click in to place but I had to reset the Kickstarter spring not too long ago .the spring located on the right by the clutch basket?

No does not return to center
Pull off the clutch cover and take a few pics for us? Specifically the kick shaft spring, the engagement spring just under the clutch and the springs just above the clutch by the star wheel.

Back