Shop Tip - Wheels for your shop chair

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I actually "discovered" these while trying to come up with a solution for the computer chair I use in my basement hobby room.

The floor is VERY rough. It was never finished beyond hand troweling and 70-odd years of use, abuse and water haven't improved matters any. It was so bad that I had to get up and drag my chair to wherever I wanted it because there was no way it was gonna roll there with my fat ass in it.

A guy on another board I hang out on turned me on to these polyurethane roller blade casters Pop right into the caster sockets on the chair, 5 minute job to yank the old ones out and pop the new ones in.

Now one little push with my foot and I roll all the way across the room!

If they'll work on the moonscape that passes for a floor in my basement, they'll damn sure work in your garage.

Link's not working DE....

Be careful, my workseat rolls real good. I was working on the headlight, had to stand and when heading back to seated, bumped the seat with my calf, it shot away, I went down. Ended with a bruised coccyx and a very sore ass for a month or so. Oh yeah, didn't ride for awhile either.
john

Be careful, my workseat rolls real good. I was working on the headlight, had to stand and when heading back to seated, bumped the seat with my calf, it shot away, I went down. Ended with a bruised coccyx and a very sore ass for a month or so. Oh yeah, didn't ride for awhile either.
john

oh gawwwd - there isn’t too much that hurts more than that.

there isn’t too much that hurts more than that.
Except maybe bruising your ballzyx... :yikes:
All seriousness aside, De, the wheels are a genius invention. Usually, when the originals break, you wind up throwing away an otherwise perfectly good chair. When the wheels broke on my HFT mechanic's roller seat, I mounted it to one of their small furniture dollies. It still works...

I fell carrying one end of a queen size sofa bed. So breaking my coccyx is something I understand.
I found riding my bike was much better than driving my pick up. On the pick up the seat was worn. When I hit a bump the seat sank enough so my coccyx hit the bar along the rear of the seat.
The bike had better suspension and no bar in the seat. Much better.
Perhaps a set of those wheels will fit on my shop vac. The plastic rollers that came on it broke years ago.
Leo

Back