short clutch cable

triumph68

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
good morning , im at the last hurdle on my cafe build can any one please tell me if i can buy a short clutch cable that i can use ? i have put on a set of clip on bars and even the clutch cable from the old xs 650 standards are 8" {200mm} to long . i surely must not be the first to have this problem . thanks Andrew

1. Measure your cable ends
2. Pick up a package of new cable ends (good to have spares)
3. Buy an Odyssey Slic cable
4. Mark your desired inner wire length
5. Cut the inner wire about 1" past your mark from step #4
6. Slide a new cable end onto the inner wire, making sure the larger hole faces towards the end of the cable
7. Lightly clamp with pliers/vice/etc the inner wire at the mark you made in step #4. The new cable end should be resting here now
8. Fray the 1" of extra inner wire that is sticking past the new cable end out (this makes it impossible to pull back through after completing the process)
9. Grab your soldering iron and heat up the cable end/wire
10. Let the solder fill up the little pocket in the cable end, around the now-frayed inner wire
11. Be careful not to let the solder fill the cable down past the cable end. This will make it brittle
12. Cut off excess frayed wire and file down the solder until it is smooth and round again.
13. Chug a beer because you just made a custom cable for about $10 instead of paying $50 for one.

Also, I highly suggest pliers similar to these when cutting braided cables and their housing:
61jQ53r8VjS._SY679_.jpg

And then there are the little matters of determining free length (length of cable not covered by the conduit) and covering conduit ends with ferrules. You can get everything you need at http://www.flandersco.com.

There's also the choice of solder. Avoid rosin core and acid core types. I prefer to attach ends by dipping in 50/50 bar solder, but if you must use a torch, use 60/40 solid core solder. Either way, use tinner's flux or Ruby Fluid; you'll find one or the other in plumbing supplies at the hardware store. Finally, use a fine cutoff wheel on a rotary tool to cut the conduit. Cutting pliers are fine for cutting the wire, but they'll deform the conduit.

Back