Shortening Cables

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have viewed the videos on how to make custom length cables, and it looks straightforward, but I was wondering if anyone here had success doing so. I am a bit leery of using solder to make the cable ends, since I think in the long run it won't hold up. There are a few bars of babbitt at work that will never get used that I could probably take a bit off of though. Barring that, how do you properly measure cables in order to get the right ones from, say, Motion Pro? Measure the sheath? Free cable length? Thanks.

https://www.venhillusa.com
I always keep one of these kits around. It’s been awhile but if memory serves, they come in a little tin can and are travel friendly. There is a little round ferrule with a hole and a screw that will tighten down the cable. You will know because it fits in the carb cable spring return hole. This is the piece I use from the kit on the throttle. Far as the throttle, have the handle bar adjuster screwed all the way out. End of the cable thru the ferrule at the carb spring return connection. I have about an inch of cable thru. Cut the cable. Then turn the adjuster at the handle bars in, tighten screw on the ferrule at the carb connection. Try it. Adjust at the handle bars. Then cut excess cable again to your desire.

Hi guys. I have viewed the videos on how to make custom length cables, and it looks straightforward, but I was wondering if anyone here had success doing so. I am a bit leery of using solder to make the cable ends, since I think in the long run it won't hold up. There are a few bars of babbitt at work that will never get used that I could probably take a bit off of though. Barring that, how do you properly measure cables in order to get the right ones from, say, Motion Pro? Measure the sheath? Free cable length? Thanks.
Solder works fine if the nipple is the right type (conical hole in it) and it and the wire end are scrupulously clean. The only failures I've had have been caused by being not careful enough with the cleanliness.

I shortened the clutch cable yesterday I attached the cable to the top engine mounts via R clips then to the frame with a spacer and R clip. I then fixed the cable in place making surenit had free movement when handle bars were turned left and righr, measured the inner cable length, spun up a brass nipple for the clutch lever and soldered the nipple in place. I have a small container filled with solder which I heat up then dip the cable in with the nipple attached..

Attachments

• WIN_20221031_14_25_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221031_14_25_37_Pro.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 77
  • WIN_20221031_19_23_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221031_19_23_16_Pro.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 75
Back