Should we be afraid of Artificial Intelligence?

There's a lot of synthetic text to voice on yootoob. poor cadence and miserable syllable/word accent makes it nasty to listen to.
Run into AI web entries a lot when looking up arcane subjects. It starts out sounding good then a paragraph or two in you realize it's regurgitated garbage with little or no content, grr.

Yes to both! I can’t stand those fake voices and as for AI generated articles, I have a news app that I use primarily for local news and they have tons of little “ space filler “ articles, just so the news feed doesn’t appear so empty
( my opinion 😄) , anyways the articles are non informative and nonsensical and you see a little disclaimer at the bottom stating it was AI generated. :doh:

Run into AI web entries a lot when looking up arcane subjects. It starts out sounding good then a paragraph or two in you realize it's regurgitated garbage with little or no content, grr.
Yep. Several times in the past year I've run into this crap. At first I thought it was just consolidators of information gleaning stuff from sources and making shit up to fill in the blanks, but there was a pattern forming...
Then I twigged it was AI, and it's fairly characteristic (for now) in its structure of mixing good info with crap. It will get better, but for now it's just unreliable junk.

Any of you guys ever read Amazon customer reviews? I've noticed a pattern recently.... multiple positive reviews with absolutely perfect syntax, no misspelling... like it was written by an English major.
Is it possible an engilsh major bought a brake master cylinder for his '05 van? I suppose. Is it possible about 20-30 of 'em did? I'm doubtful. Is it possible they're all AI generated reviews? That's my guess.

Any of you guys ever read Amazon customer reviews? I've noticed a pattern recently.... multiple positive reviews with absolutely perfect syntax, no misspelling... like it was written by an English major.
Is it possible an engilsh major bought a brake master cylinder for his '05 van? I suppose. Is it possible about 20-30 of 'em did? I'm doubtful. Is it possible they're all AI generated reviews? That's my guess.
A modest bugbear is the AI box summarising reviews. That's taken care of by element blocking in UBlock.

I’ve given this a lot of thought and tried to listen to a lot of conversation on the topic.

My takeaway is that AI could be the tool that advances our civilisation into the next stage of progression, by this I mean that it could he immeasurably beneficial for our understanding of physics, material sciences etc… perhaps this is how we as a species manage to navigate the galaxy.

The flip side (dark side) is when human ideology is coded into its early development. Furthermore we have a very real and potent tendency to open Pandora’s box without any real thought to the ramifications. If appropriate sanctions and restrictions are set in place in its infancy than perhaps the risks are negated but unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be the pattern of behaviour (read foresight & wisdom) we display so I fear we may be creating our own demise. My figures may not be exact but approximate so please correct me if I’m wrong but it took decades to implement mandatory seat belts in cars and I think this is a more troubling issue for humanity.

Rant over, hopefully not too incoherent, it’s late and I’m deeply concerned about this issue, I’m worried about the path that we’re on.

Daniel.

QUOTE="Mailman, post: 832551, member: 26118"]
Me too. It’s not so much AI itself but how human beings will pervert and abuse it. 🤔
[/QUOTE]

Especially when the people currently coding this software harbour leftist/Marxist ideologies. All paths seem to lead to destruction.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Me too. It’s not so much AI itself but how human beings will pervert and abuse it. 🤔

Especially when the people currently coding this software harbour leftist/Marxist ideologies. All paths seem to lead to destruction.

Daniel.
[/QUOTE]
I don't play with it but some of the responses I have seen are nothing more than convoluted word salad.
Garbage in, garbage out.

Daniel.
[/QUOTE]
This is how the Problem is hijacked from addressing the problem to blaming an ideology. The debate is now their fault, when even if measures were put in place, a person with the resources, or a rogue state, or just human nature, where someone decides not to conform, for whatever their reason, or abide by the rules or protections put in place are going to develop and push the boundaries on AI.

I have read a few comments that mention Musk's comments stating how AI could b problematic for the human race. There is no way I can trust a billionaire who relies on AI for his livelihood in his autominios cars and Space program. Who knows what he is developing for the space program and colonization of mars. Can someone with that much money who relies on AI development b trusted.

Rocket man built his nuclear bombs and intercontinental rockets under heavy sanctions and completely thumbed his nose at nuclear rules. As a race we cannot conform to a concensis. It is not in our nature.

Back