Shouldn't this thing come off my tripple clamp?

GuitarGuy1996

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've got a 1979 XS750. I'm taking it down to the frame and having the frame and some other bits powder coated. I'm almost done but I can't seem to get this collar off the lower part of the triple clamp/steering stem. There was a tapered bearing over top of it that shattered when I tried to take it off but it left this collar. I've been beating on it with a dead blow and a screw driver with no luck. Before I went ahead and put heat on it and started going crazy on it, I wanted to check with you guys. This thing does come off right? All of them I see on ebay still have the bearing on it but I'm guessing they just didn't wanna mess with it? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20230219_190926.jpg
    20230219_190926.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 101
If you have or know someone with an oxy-acetylene torch you could heat that "collar" ,actually inner race for the bearing, fast enough that it might just drop off on it's own weight.

Be carefull hitting it too hard as it could shatter or chip off pieces that could hurt you. If my dad ws still around he could explain that to you as he was standing near while someone smacked a hammer on a larger bearing and had a chip go into one eye! Lost much of the vision from that eye!

One more cat skinning method.
Cut off wheel in a dremel, make two opposed slots at an angle. The angle lets you get deeper without hitting the stem. then the cold chisel in one of the slots

One more cat skinning method.
Cut off wheel in a dremel, make two opposed slots at an angle. The angle lets you get deeper without hitting the stem. then the cold chisel in one of the slots
I've been thinking about trying that, I got old stuck bearings off longboard trucks back in college that way. I wasn't the most patient or steady handed back then though and would always chew up the axles so I've been kinda iffy on doing it on the stem but that may be my best bet.

Get this kit, trust me. Every serious (and most not so serious) home shop needs it.
The mount allows the blade to "wobble" without breaking.
1676907159294.png

If you have or know someone with an oxy-acetylene torch you could heat that "collar" ,actually inner race for the bearing, fast enough that it might just drop off on it's own weight.

Be carefull hitting it too hard as it could shatter or chip off pieces that could hurt you. If my dad ws still around he could explain that to you as he was standing near while someone smacked a hammer on a larger bearing and had a chip go into one eye! Lost much of the vision from that eye!
Sorry to hear about your dad, that's nuts! Honestly, I'm probably gonna soak it in pb blaster and either use a dremmel or the bearing puller kit the first guy was talking about. I don't have a torch and I live in a rental so I'm sure the landlords would love me playing with flame throwers 😅

Save that rubber seal! it will stretch and come off over the bearing race.

Attacked this on the lathe yeasterday. The triple was bent, no longer remember why the clamps were hacked off o_O and wanted to save the stem for an XS750 fork conversion project patiently waiting in the shed.

Attachments

• KIMG3094.JPG
    KIMG3094.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 54
  • KIMG3095.JPG
    KIMG3095.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 55
Save that rubber seal! it will stretch and come off over the bearing race.

Attacked this on the lathe yeasterday. The triple was bent, no longer remember why the clamps were hacked off o_O and wanted to save the stem for an XS750 fork conversion project patiently waiting in the shed.
Just reviewing some bearings threads and caught this. I do recall the conversation and how to.🧐👍

Are we all talking about the same thing here? The bottom-most race on the steering stem?
You don't need anything fancy to remove it. Just an extremely thin screwdriver. Find a place where you can get some purchase on it between the race and the triple as you pound it in. You want to open up a tiny gap. Then work that gap all the way around, and go up to successively larger screwdrivers. You only need to move it up about 1/4", and then the stem tapers down and it slides right off.

Back