Wanted - SHOW quality tail light assy. for a 1975.

I wont be building a factory 75 build yet. I'll need to run it how I build it for now. In time It'll have it done more factory OEM.

You have a beautiful bike. Can't wait until mine looks like that.

I wont be building a factory 75 build yet. I'll need to run it how I build it for now. In time It'll have it done more factory OEM.

You have a beautiful bike. Can't wait until mine looks like that.
Thanks - I went as far as I could without re-chrome or paint - it’s only original once as they say. Should have repainted the frame though - got one repainted and it turned out absolutely perfect - thanks to another member on this site :)

1686526546865.png

After the bike is complete I will tear it back down and paint the frame. I've always done it that way. Seems backward but I've found
I get better results If I Build it twice. Small things
Thanks for the info above. I'll file it in my xs650 file

Next up: The filter boxes. I will be restoring the factory boxes pictured above as they were still on the bike.

Attachments

• DSCN9467.JPG
    DSCN9467.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 38
I’m a little to the party on this one. As JP mentioned, the used ones have issues and the aftermarket stuff, while usable is not what I’d call show quality.There’s been some discussion in the past concerning the quality of the chrome on these old 650’s and even right from the factory it was never great. It’s thin and the metal underneath was never polished so it can look kinda scratchy.
Having said that, it’s surprising how well the old units can respond to a little elbow grease. Here is a unit from an XS2 I rebuilt. The rust was mostly surface rust. That came right off with fine steel wool and polish. The worst was the underneath part. I used steel wool and Dremel wire wheels to remove the rust and then shot rattle can clear over it. The results were pretty nice.
IMG_5835.jpeg

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-81#post-575464

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-82#post-575543

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-82#post-575543

Headlight restoration kits can work miracles on all of your tired, scuffed and scratched plastic lenses.
IMG_5833.jpegIMG_5834.jpeg

I know you want to sell the light to me. That's not fair. So beautiful, I've been looking for that light for years. I started gathering parts for my build years ago.
As bikes came though my shop I would sometimes keep something I wanted for my build. My business so it wasn't steeling. I tear down bikes and sell the parts on ebay and Shopify
Just know I didn't come to this site to generate business for my stores. I came here to build MY XS650 and to meet other owners.
Now having said that, I'm looking for a light just like that one.

Well, it’s not show quality, but it’s pretty clean. Only rust is on bottom side. I just gave it a quick wipe down for these pics as it’s been in storage for a while. Like others mentioned, the chrome was never great from the factory. This is a great runner or you could easily have it re-chromed. Chrome is smooth with no rust pitting. Shoot me a PM if interested. I may have some other nice 75 parts in storage that I’d part with for a restoration project. Maybe we could make a package deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 41
Well, it’s not show quality, but it’s pretty clean. Only rust is on bottom side. I just gave it a quick wipe down for these pics as it’s been in storage for a while. Like others mentioned, the chrome was never great from the factory. This is a great runner or you could easily have it re-chromed. Chrome is smooth with no rust pitting. Shoot me a PM if interested. I may have some other nice 75 parts in storage that I’d part with for a restoration project. Maybe we could make a package deal.

That one doesn’t look any worse than the one I cleaned up. That should shine up very well! 👍🏻

Looks pretty good. Better than I started with. I would be happy to figure out something on all your 75 parts.
Here's what I have to work with. I will post a pic when I finish it. I'm going to try to save it.

Attachments

• DSCN9748.JPG
    DSCN9748.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN9749.JPG
    DSCN9749.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 35
Here's what I'm starting with. I think I'll try to save it. The backbone looks good.

Attachments

• DSCN9749.JPG
    DSCN9749.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9748.JPG
    DSCN9748.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9750.JPG
    DSCN9750.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 29
Back