Side Cover Latches

bosshasr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latch on one of my airbox covers blew off a couple weeks ago and I decided to make my own since the the replacement plastic ones didn't seem to have very good reviews. I'd like to feel out if there is any interest from the community for buying sets of these. I'd be ballparking at $35/pair shipped to lower 48.

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_173617.jpg
    IMG_20181010_173617.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20181010_173653.jpg
    IMG_20181010_173653.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20181010_173745.jpg
    IMG_20181010_173745.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_20181010_173814.jpg
    IMG_20181010_173814.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 482
Great idea. I'd be interested just for the custom aspect of them. Looks like a quality item.

I'd like to see a set on the bike too and would likely pop for a set for my Cafe bike....

....and I do have a US mailing address.

Please let us know when they're available.

I only had time to grab one picture this morning before leaving for work. Since this was a prototype set I haven't protected the aluminum yet but I've quoted for getting black or clear anodize and it's pretty reasonable. These were also made in 2 pieces with the shaft threaded into the knob but moving forward I think it would be more efficient and more robust to just make it all out of a single aluminum solid.

Attachments

• knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 485
They are Beautiful.........Unfortunately if i bought 1 pair with the exchange rate and postage, (USPS Priority Mail International small flat box, $1.00 more than an envelope), it will cost me about $90 Aus.......:(.

Seems like enough interest to me. Peanut's 3 page thread on "knobs" is pretty convincing. I'm working on making a collet setup for my lathe to crank these out so it will probably be a month or so before I can have finished parts. I'll keep you guys updated.

650Skull, I wonder If I could get these in one of USPS's padded envelopes and save a few $$. Once they're done I'll see what I can do to get some reasonable international shipping rates.

So it took a bit more time than originally estimated but I got the parts back from the anodizer today and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

IMG_20190430_201127.jpg

The main body of the latch is a single piece of aluminum so there is no chance of these falling apart. If anyone is still interested, I'll have 9 sets (2 latch assemblies/set) available. I have to go out of town for work for the rest of the week but when I get back I'll start packaging up sets and figuring out what shipping's costs will be.

Steve

So it took a bit more time than originally estimated but I got the parts back from the anodizer today and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

View attachment 140159

The main body of the latch is a single piece of aluminum so there is no chance of these falling apart. If anyone is still interested, I'll have 9 sets (2 latch assemblies/set) available. I have to go out of town for work for the rest of the week but when I get back I'll start packaging up sets and figuring out what shipping's costs will be.

Steve
Hi, how can i buy a set of those latches.
They look great
can you do Pay Pal ?

Back