Side Cover Latches

I'd like to have a source or dimensions for the grommet on the bottom of the covers. Do any of you have that?
upload_2021-11-19_8-56-6.png

Last edited:
I liked bosshasr's original post so I think he should get a email notification so hopefully he might log in to see what's going on.

The inventor of these could sell those knobs on Ebay because theres more buyers than here id imagine.
How are these made? Is the knob a generic part or did the maker CNC them?

Last edited:
From his description and maybe @MaxPete can chip in here, the knob and shaft are all one piece of aluminum machined to shape and drilled for the steel roll pin.. And I'm wondering how that's holding up for users?
The originals use a steel pin that's flattened on the knob end. guessing the phenolic knobs were molded onto that pin. Pretty common to mold phenolic over metal inserts.
Guess If I were starting to build some from scratch I'd use a bevel head steel bolt shank, make an aluminum knob that the head would recess into and drill the cross hole for the roll pin. :shrug:

I'd like to have a source or dimensions for the grommet on the bottom of the covers. Do any of you have that?
View attachment 201980
Marty, do you have a trick way of installing these? The last two I tried broke in two as I tried to force it through the hole in the side cover. Tried soap, heating it up, spray lube and nothing helped. I think the new repop units use a cheap grade of rubber that’s not flexible enough.

Marty, do you have a trick way of installing these? The last two I tried broke in two as I tried to force it through the hole in the side cover. Tried soap, heating it up, spray lube and nothing helped. I think the new repop units use a cheap grade of rubber that’s not flexible enough.
I noted that the OEM grommets are available. I have yet to get into this.

I bought some from MikesXS years ago and had no trouble installing them once i figured out i had to remove the steel sleeve first :doh:, and reinstall it after the rubber grommet was in place.........

The rubber grommets in the link below should be pliable.

Check out post no 223
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs6502f-xs650sk-mash-up.58192/page-12

I bought some from MikesXS years ago and had no trouble installing them once i figured out i had to remove the steel sleeve first :doh:, and reinstall it after the rubber grommet was in place.........

The rubber grommets in the link below should be pliable.

Check out post no 223
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs6502f-xs650sk-mash-up.58192/page-12
Thx Skull, I ordered another grommet from XS650DIRECT. Hopefully the rubber will be softer. The last one I tried to install was quite hard and seemed more a plastic/rubber feel. I did remove the sleeve but it still ended up splitting in two.

edit - just checked by parts stash and found a new one from XS650Direct. Same hard material. Soaked it in boiling water for a few minutes and gave it a try. No way it was going in. Dimensionally it is good but the material is just too stiff. Looked on line and they appear to be available from Yamaha. I’m going to order a pair. Hopefully the OEM pieces will work out.

Last edited:
Thanks Skull, just sent them a message to see if they ship north of the border.
Ended up ordering from Sumo. Great service and good price considering how far they had to travel. Pleasant surprise the grommets were OEM Yamaha parts. Soft and pliable, installed easily.

Last edited:
Hey Guys! I'm debating doing a serious production run of parts identical to my original run and wanted to get some feedback first.

To the guys that got one of the originals:
  1. How are they holding up?
  2. Any suggested changes?
  3. Would you buy again if you were in the market or have you found something cheaper/better out there?

I'm looking at a run of about 200 sets to make it worth my time and to payback the tooling investment.

@MrBultaco @MaxPete @Norton7d @willis

Back