Side Oil Screen Cover

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20200313_174236-1.jpg
On my first start of this mock up, lots of oil leaked out the side filter cover. Once I replaced the inner and outer gaskets and added fresh copper washers to the fasteners, the leak is reduced to only messy, but still not right. So I took off the side filter cover again and a lot of oil came out, almost as if that whole filter cavity was full and waiting for me to open it up.
Shouldn't that area drain down into the right side cover and then the crankcase once the engine stops? Any other of these side filter covers that I have opened just dribble a bit down the side case. Is there a drain passage that I need to find and clear?
Nothing in the tech section mentions this.

View attachment 161923
On my first start of this mock up, lots of oil leaked out the side filter cover. Once I replaced the inner and outer gaskets and added fresh copper washers
to the fasteners, the leak is reduced to only messy, but still not right. So I took off the side filter cover again and a lot of oil came out, almost as if that whole filter cavity was full and waiting for me to open it up.
Shouldn't that area drain down into the right side cover and then the crankcase once the engine stops? Any other of these side filter covers that I have opened just dribble a bit down the side case. Is there a drain passage that I need to find and clear?
Nothing in the tech section mentions this.

Debris under the gasket? Wrinkled or cracked gasket? Maybe you just need a new one? No, it shouldn’t leak. Not even a little.

Superjet was right. The screw was turned in almost 3/16th and the ball was half covering the passage. I adjusted it back to even, but mission creep has set in as now I am going to replace the side cover gasket and check the bottom screen too.
Thanks for the help!

Glad all got sorted out Lakeview. I suggested it as it was an observation while changing the oil and looking at that bolt. Nothing too complicated in there figured it would be something to take a look at. I still cant believe how much oil came out of it even with the gaskets in there?!?

I found the two screws were a little too long and it would weep, I shortened the screws by an 1/8 of an inch and no weep now.

20200315_193010.jpg
As the sun set, the old biker could feel the temp dropping past 10 C. Time to tighten up that last bolt they cleverly hid under the side stand and clear up the tools. All in all, not a bad day. Three gasket surfaces cleaned and the sump filter reinstalled.
Tomorrow will be a good time to clean the old gasket off the side cover, he thought as he rolled the door down.
Year round DST might be a good idea, too.

Back