Side stand and front fender

Superjet

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got a new set of tires put on my rims Friday. Got 4.00-19 front and 5.00-16 in rear. Really like the look but a few items have come to light. First is the side stand. The both tires are taller but more the front one. Now my side stand is very short. Initially when I took off my jack to put on the side stand it near fell on my Roadstar! Lol. I measured the stand and it is from center of bolt to absolute tip of it is around 8-3/4". Can someone confirm if this is stock length? I may either have to weld a piece on there to not have to carry a piece of decking I had laying around.

Other item that I noticed even before removing the bike off the jack was the cut down front fender. It rubs inside. There isnt much room with the fender re-inforcing. There isnt much below the fender mounting holes to remove in order to raise up. Was using the fender for more of a brace than anything else. Would like some opinions on what could be done. Fork braces are expensive but may have to go that way if all trials of the fender fail.

Thanks guys for the help.
20180812_092648.jpg

For the short stand, several have tacked something to the bottom of the stand. I used a small piece of 1/4" plate and it worked well when I went from 16 to 18" rear rims.

You can loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees and slide the fork tubes up an inch. It's best not to go over an inch though. Looks like your rear shocks are a bit long, shorter ones will lower things down.
tim

I would almost need to add 3/4" in order to get my bike back to its original lean angle. Could probably get a piece of 1" pipe welded at the bottom along with a wider foot plate.

Be careful when sliding the tubes up in the trees. Go too much and the fender or wheel will hit the bottom triple tree upon full fork compression. I don't think you can go any more than a half inch before that could happen. To find out how much space you've got, remove the fork springs and then you can slide the fork lowers and wheel up as far as it will go. Best you find out this way instead of driving down the road.

Your side stand is the stock length. I had to add about 3/4" to mine for my longer shocks. I built up the foot by welding pieces of plate to the bottom. I think it's better than the original because I made it's "footprint" a little bigger in the process .....

ysS4Ymj.jpg

I'm in the process of modding the stand for the one I'm currently working on. Even with stock shocks, it still needs the 1/2" of plate added. Once I put longer shocks on, I'll have to add another 1/4" piece probably. I think these are wonderful side stands and well worth saving/fixing/modding. I like the large post pivot as opposed to the clevis type many other stands use. Keep it greased up and they work great. To do that, add a grease nipple to the pivot .....

y6VgFrh.jpg

I see you have the late style stand with the added brackets for the side stand safety switch. I'm reverting back to the earlier simple, plain stand. My biggest beef with that late style isn't the stand itself but rather the spring post bracket. It blocks access to one of the oil pan bolts. I'll be swapping on the earlier smaller spring post bracket as well .....

c6VAA2N.jpg

Hi 5twins. I got preload adjusters set to max on upper shock tubes. I raised it 3/4" and gets it close to stock lean angle on side stand. While on the bike with front brake pulled it doesnt get close and I really tried to bottom it out. I would prefer to have forks at stock position so will need to weld something up.

Yeah my bike is an 83 and does have the sidestand switch bracket....such a pain trying to remove and install the bolt on the end of the sump plate. While tightning back the sump plate one of the bolts broke in the block. Luckily it wasnt that bolt....:thumbsup:. I will try to get a center stand. It wasnt on the bike when I got it. Really wish it was on there tho. To remove the 35 year old gasket on the block from the sump plate was a hand full.....well more like a 2 finger full. Good thing I have patience.

I tried my bike out this morning before I raised the forks and the front tire isnt properly mounted :cussing:. It has a decent wobble and upon return home I saw that the bead looks to be recessed in too far creating a buldge to one side. I can see it when I rotate the tire. I will bring back today tomorrow for them to redo. Starting to think that it willbe a good investment to have some tire irons and do it myself as you have mentionned in another thread!!

If you have an air compressor, you can probably fix that tire yourself. Deflate/inflate several times and the bead should pop out. You may need to add some lube and pump it up more, like to 50 or 60 pounds.

As far as the forks go, what we were talking about was loosening the triple tree clamps and sliding the tubes up in them. As I said, you can't go too much. Many here suggest it but it's not a proper thing to do. The proper way to lower the forks is to do so internally. They make kits that do this but it's done by reducing the fork's travel. These only have like 6" of travel to begin with. I don't understand why people would want to take an inch or two away from that.

Lowering the forks slightly by raising them in the trees can improve handling. It more firmly plants the front end which can give a bit better steering "feel" and input. I have mine dropped a very small amount, about 1/4" .....

CzNiDXD.jpg

Got my front tire back today after it was not properly mounted. It now goes straight without the wobbly wobble! I have to say tho the new tires are real beefy. Way more rubber than the old tires that were on it when I purchased it. Accelerates differently now but it also has way more traction too. Good ride around town to test out.

Filed down the front fender mounting holes and the tire still rubs on it. Gonna have to think about it some more.

So one bike now operational. If i can just get the rear caliper seals for my Roadstar in the background can finish that up too! :bike:
20180814_210706.jpg
20180814_210743.jpg

Back