Side stand switch??

Kalash

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, I'm absolutely new to the XS world. I was barely used to the dirt bikes I had.

I picked up '77 already on a weld on frame with a PMA kit installed. It would barely start and after some carb tweaking, I have it starting solid. I didn't get to talk to the PO much about it but the wiring is a mess. Only the tail and headlight work. Aside from it dying if I gas it too quick, my current issue is it dying when I put it into gear. After a month or two of creeping on the forum without being a member I came to the conclusion that it may be the side stand switch. But I'm not 100% sure if they were on the '77s. My question is where this switch is. I know what to do when I get ahold of it. Just need to know where it's at.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I know from past experience that forums are tight knit places with specific etiquette. Mods move me if you have to, I'm just looking for a hand. Thanks guys.

Welcome, Right area.

There was no side-stand cut out switch on a 77. Sounds like you have a hard-tail, maybe you can explain about the bike some more, like what has actually been done or not done to it.

Posting pics of the bike and any close ups that may be relevant to the question area will help immensely

Hi Kalash and welcome,
like Skull sez, the '77 didn't have a side stand cut out switch.
& FWIW, a dreaded PO who PMA'd & Hardtailed a bike would hardly be likely to install one.
But you never know.
Best you examine the sidestand and surrounding area and check for wiring.
Although my first guess is partial slow running jet blockage.

Your clutch could be dragging too. When you drop it into gear, does the bike "tug" ahead a little bit? That can kill it at idle.

Back