Sidecar winter project

Hi Tinker,
most likely things have changed in the UK since I emigrated in 1969 but back then a motorcycle's insurance cost would be cut in half if you added a sidecar.
Once you learn how to operate a sidecar rig it's far safer to ride than a solo bike.
Admittedly there's no crumple zones & such to protect you and no way a rig will split traffic but OTOH a rig can't fall over,
you can see all round and nobody can distract you by yelling in your ear about trivia.

I have proved that underlined bit is not always true on a couple occasions! Both times were when I was doing stupid things like doughnuts to the right in the snow and then cut throttle. Amazing how good traction the knobbies can have at times like that!

I have proved that underlined bit is not always true on a couple occasions! Both times were when I was doing stupid things like doughnuts to the right in the snow and then cut throttle. Amazing how good traction the knobbies can have at times like that!

Hi Ken,
OK then, can we agree that a rig can't fall over unless it's made to do so by breaking what used to the UK's only bicycle law,
"You may not ride a bicycle furiously"?

64F4A4A3-BA36-41EE-8F84-879CE01C45FE.jpeg
Quite pleased with the Winter Sidecar project progress since literally cutting it out of a tree less than a month ago.The added knowledge from comments and photos obtained here have made a long overdue project idea even more interesting and enjoyable thus far. I do have a ways to go before the final painting process hopefully in the spring.Best Holiday wishes to you all.Ride safe.

View attachment 203163 Quite pleased with the Winter Sidecar project progress since literally cutting it out of a tree less than a month ago.The added knowledge from comments and photos obtained here have made a long overdue project idea even more interesting and enjoyable thus far. I do have a ways to go before the final painting process hopefully in the spring.Best Holiday wishes to you all.Ride safe.

186D6AB4-E71E-4298-9DF7-8886A3753B3D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite pleased with the Winter Sidecar project progress since literally cutting it out of a tree less than a month ago.The added knowledge from comments and photos obtained here have made a long overdue project idea even more interesting and enjoyable thus far. I do have a ways to go before the final painting process hopefully in the spring.Best Holiday wishes to you all.Ride safe.

Not sure what your experience is with mounting a sidecar but just for fun I'm attaching a page out of a manual I got many years back when I was new to the hacks.
Wheel off-set.jpg

Not sure what your experience is with mounting a sidecar but just for fun I'm attaching a page out of a manual I got many years back when I was new to the hacks.
View attachment 203173
I have seen this before but surely appreciate your sharing your information regardless.It is all very relevant.

I’m definitely fortunate to have a little almost 6year old buddy fueling my fire on this project.Thats a Yes
Actually that’s a Yes with a thank-you Gary for a firm wise suggestion to start a thread on this Sidecar project idea.Its a new reality twist on old m/c wanna do someday project.Great group.

View attachment 203173

Hi Ken,
other dimensions on other pages?
I'd say that your sidecar wheel lead dimension "C" should be from zero (Harleys) ~3" (plunger-frames & rigids) & ~10" (swingarm frames)
The longer the lead, the "sportier" the handling. The shorter the lead, the easier it is to nosedive on left turns.
Track width, I built my first rig with 54" track because that's what the sidecar manufacturer recommended.
I stayed with the 54" track on subsequent rigs so they'd fit my homebuilt sidecar trailer.
I set my Sidecar wheel toe-in (1/2" to 3/4") and bike lean-out (3/8" to 5/8")

Don't know if you have seen this. PDF, (bottom of post). Pretty comprehensive information on setting up a sidecar.

Don't now where i got these pics from. Some close ups of the setup.
100_0360.JPG 100_1296.JPG 100_1300.JPG 100_1313.JPG 100_1365.JPG 100_1366.JPG 100_1367.JPG 100_1368.JPG

Looks like the guy wasn't happy with having a powered sidecar.
100_1348.JPG

Attachments

• 2 Side Car Manual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 122
Don't know if you have seen this. PDF, (bottom of post). Pretty comprehensive information on setting up a sidecar.

View attachment 203196 View attachment 203197 View attachment 203198 View attachment 203199 View attachment 203200 View attachment 203201 View attachment 203202 View attachment 203203

View attachment 203204

View attachment 203196 View attachment 203197 View attachment 203198 View attachment 203199 View attachment 203200 View attachment 203201 View attachment 203202 View attachment 203203

View attachment 203204

Hi Ken,
other dimensions on other pages?

Dimensions I always thought of as only starting points to be adjusted as to riding style and other things. I'm not seeing any thing on recommended track width and I would have to go out and measure my Sportster/Hannigan outfit to see where I have it set but 54 inches sounds like a good starting point.

I'll attach a couple more pages out of this old book:
Toe-In.jpg
Vertical Lean.jpg

Back