Sidecar winter project

magoo66

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Decided to refurbish and mount a hitch hiker unit to a 75b before I tackle building a couple in my shop.The paint process and fab work along with many motorcycles and parts gigging have been a big part of my life however Sidecar ownership and mounting is a 0.Other than a few rides in home built hacks back in the 60’s sidecar are a “Gotta do this while I still can thing.”Just a thread for mounting ideas and comments along with some does and don’t s.Not after a debate for sure,just enjoyable learning.

Ooh, I like it. The wife has been pestering me to get a new dog since our Bulldog passed away in March, to which i firmly disapprove of. Just this last weekend I told her I would let her get a new dog if she would ok me to buy a bike with a sidecar so I can take the dog cruising with me. She didn't bite....

She didn't bite....
I understand how and why people love dogs, but I believe a motorbike with a side hack is much cheaper over time. Not to mention, what better way to enjoy the company of a dog?
upload_2021-12-7_12-57-53.png

Decided to refurbish and mount a hitch hiker unit to a 75b before I tackle building a couple in my shop.The paint process and fab work along with many motorcycles and parts gigging have been a big part of my life however Sidecar ownership and mounting is a 0.Other than a few rides in home built hacks back in the 60’s sidecar are a “Gotta do this while I still can thing.”Just a thread for mounting ideas and comments along with some does and don’t s.Not after a debate for sure,just enjoyable learning.

Hi magoo,
here's some photos of my XS650/SofA rig
650 sa rig 1.JPG 650 sa rig 2.JPG
and a quarter-front view of my XS650/Velorex rig subframe
vel subframe 1.JPG
The two stubs on the cross-rail plug into the bike frame's center stand mounts.

Attachments

• 195311-f2124c3e88d682e22ca11a778014cc34.jpg
    195311-f2124c3e88d682e22ca11a778014cc34.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 137
I understand how and why people love dogs, but I believe a motorbike with a side hack is much cheaper over time. Not to mention, what better way to enjoy the company of a dog?
View attachment 202820
Gawd blimey G’vnor that’s a right Charlie, don’t ya know!

Attachments

• 9CBF0067-772C-4330-8BB8-AFCD75552B0E.jpeg
    9CBF0067-772C-4330-8BB8-AFCD75552B0E.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 152
I'd post some pictures of the mounts I use on my 1981 XS650 but they would make some here sick!
See this was a outfit that was used for year-round commuting in Central NY and only time it was washed is if it was raining on the ride to or from work. At the time the pictures I have were taken this abuse went on for at the least 10 to 15 years!

I'd post some pictures of the mounts I use on my 1981 XS650 but they would make some here sick!
See this was a outfit that was used for year-round commuting in Central NY and only time it was washed is if it was raining on the ride to or from work. At the time the pictures I have were taken this abuse went on for at the least 10 to 15 years!
I hardly think anyone will get sick over informative,fun pictures.Post them and lets see.Thanks

If I was to do another XS650/Sidecar Outfit I might be tempted to go that route with the leaning bike mounts.

I believe the idea is to have the front mount a bit higher than the rear which then imparts a little steering into the sidecar. Just need to remember to use side stand when parking!

Just for fun here is a picture of a leaner I saw at a rally back in 2004. Guy who owned it said that the bike was one of a group of BMWs built for some racing series where all the riders had to use identical factory set-up bikes. Sidecar was something he had added once he bought the bike.
leaning BMW.JPG

Back