Simple to learn and use Drawing program?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thought someone here might have some suggestions.

I'm looking for an easy to learn program that can be used to draw up things like say some cabinets or work bench. Fifty years ago I took a couple courses in drawing at the local community college but even the guys building moon landers hardly had computers back then! I do still have my Tee-square and drawing tools so I can go old school but just wanted to give doing this on my computer a try.

I did have a couple programs many years ago but they seemed more suited for building nuclear reactors than just designing a work bench or knickknack shelf.

And yea I'm cheep and would prefer freeware programs which actually many times they are easier to used because they don't have all the fancy stuff that I don't have a need for at home.

If you just want bare bones basic and stupid simple... Windows has MS Paint built in. It's pretty limited, but if all you want is basic dimensioned shapes (a work bench), it'll get the job done without having to learn and understand understand quantum physics... :rolleyes:
This drawing was done with Paint...

Stator Mod..png

That looks pretty good. I started using a program named Gimp because it comes with what I use for an operating system. It is basically Photoshop but you can do basic drawings too. There's a version for Winders too. I assume it's also free.

This looks pretty fascinating. Mid-level 3D drawing so you could spin the cabinet around. Web-based and free, originally a Google project.
https://app.sketchup.com/app?hl=en
https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/adding-text-labels-and-dimensions-model

If the drawing is fun enough, you don't have to actually build the cabinet is the way I look at it :)

Limited, but quick and easy....

View attachment 180178
Are there any tutorials that would explain how to do something simple like that bench top drawing? I can see how to draw a line or a circle but it all seems somewhat random like drawing lines on a paper with out a straight edge.

And trying to do the stator mod drawing with all the measurements would seem to take days to do.

Are there any tutorials that would explain how to do something simple like that bench top drawing? I can see how to draw a line or a circle but it all seems somewhat random like drawing lines on a paper with out a straight edge.
There's lots of Youtube tutorials out there. I've never watched 'em so I can't vouch for 'em.

And trying to do the stator mod drawing with all the measurements would seem to take days to do.
That took about 30min. Once you have the basics down, it's pretty easy.

I’d love to know what programme was used for the electrical schematics on this site.

I’m going to be modifying my wiring loom and will prob draw the schematic up in AutoCAD but it would be real handy if the blocks were available somewhere already.

I’d love to know what programme was used for the electrical schematics on this site.

I’m going to be modifying my wiring loom and will prob draw the schematic up in AutoCAD but it would be real handy if the blocks were available somewhere already.
One of the simpler CAD programs specific to electrical drawings is TinyCad. Used it back when I was (helping) design systems for lightsport airplanes. Relatively light learning curve and pretty powerful once mastered.
.... and it's open source (free).

I did have a couple programs many years ago but they seemed more suited for building nuclear reactors than just designing a work bench or knickknack shelf.

Hi Ken,
back when I designed nuclear reactors I drew 'em up with AutoCAD.
I still have a copy of AutoCAD on my computer but in the 20 years since I last used it, I've forgotten how.

One of the simpler CAD programs specific to electrical drawings is TinyCad. Used it back when I was (helping) design systems for lightsport airplanes. Relatively light learning curve and pretty powerful once mastered.
.... and it's open source (free).

Thanks Jim, sounds promising I’ll have a look into that .

Back