Simplifying factory harness

Ozhog

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Gday,

Tearing into my 1980 650 special and looking to remove some of the clutter in the factory wiring harness. I bought it as a stock and untouched bike, and so far I have removed:
Indicators front and rear
Speedo and rpm cluster
Kill switch/start (right hand)
Light dimmer switch (left hand)
Horn
Key main switch

Everything else ignition wise I’ll be keeping stock for now, including battery.
I’ll be wiring my new headlight separately to a toggle, so I’m assuming I can ditch the Reserve lighting unit?
I’m guessing I can remove the flasher relay, cancelling unit and reed switch plus all wiring?
What else can I delete while I’m here?

I’m sure this has been covered before but I couldn’t find what I was looking for.
Cheers
D974FF67-AF36-4565-A289-13D53FDD2492.jpeg

Gday,

Tearing into my 1980 650 special and looking to remove some of the clutter in the factory wiring harness. I bought it as a stock and untouched bike, and so far I have removed:
Indicators front and rear
Speedo and rpm cluster
Kill switch/start (right hand)
Light dimmer switch (left hand)
Horn
Key main switch

Everything else ignition wise I’ll be keeping stock for now, including battery.
I’ll be wiring my new headlight separately to a toggle, so I’m assuming I can ditch the Reserve lighting unit?
I’m guessing I can remove the flasher relay, cancelling unit and reed switch plus all wiring?
What else can I delete while I’m here?

I’m sure this has been covered before but I couldn’t find what I was looking for.
Cheers View attachment 216477
You could start with those silly bars. Oh , you added those. Just kidding. Simple good.

With everything that you removed you’d be better off getting a chopper harness, I think it’s from tc bros. This will allow you to basically just hook up your charging system. Then you can just add a fuse block for whatever you add, I.e headlight and tail light. Going to be a lot easier in the long run

With everything that you removed you’d be better off getting a chopper harness, I think it’s from tc bros. This will allow you to basically just hook up your charging system. Then you can just add a fuse block for whatever you add, I.e headlight and tail light. Going to be a lot easier in the long run
I second that, they pretty much give you the hookup layout for your ignition and charging, you just run your own setup for lighting. Makes it pretty easy when you’re following your own schematic.

Back