Single Carb - any fans?

denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
G'day! Building a custom around an XS650 engine. Currently have a mate welding new engine mounts into the old '80's chopper frame, Katana 1100 twin disc front end sorted with new steering head mods, hoping a blank rear 34 tooth sprocket turns up from NZ this week so it can be worked to fit the Katana rear wheel. Need to sort out carbs and as a 65 year old rookie I'm tempted to try a single carb as easy maintenance and reliability will be more important to me than performance.Wondering whether anyone in Australia is running a single carb, what sort and whether you're happy with it? Here's a couple of photos of progress. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• XS Bare cases 2.JPG
    XS Bare cases 2.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Headlight.JPG
    Headlight.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 289
  • XS A.jpg
    XS A.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 292
got a 2-1 with a lectron carb ready to go on ,was all set to install it when the reg shit itself , putting a honda 600 reg/rect on but waiting on the connectors at the moment .. soon as the bikes up and running properly will do the conversion , gone for the lectron as im in mt country with a lot of changes in altitude , a lot of opinions on the 2-1 but I think is a good idea but the truth will be in the running , with the lectron it will make carb tuning a lot easier

Interested to see how you guys go! I’m running a two into one joe wiseguys manifold but have the same prob them as you FLEA - reg/rec shit itself again .

I’m using a mikuni VM34 and jetting - i use 20 pilot with 180 min jet. 6f9 needle with 159, p-5 or p-6 needle jet.

Need new throttle cable and reg rec and I’m good to test.

FLEA - what the go with the Honda 600 reg/rec?

Attachments

• 23BDF803-94E1-4C62-BD63-37D790B2BA7B.jpeg
    23BDF803-94E1-4C62-BD63-37D790B2BA7B.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 264
havnt put the 600 reg on (does need different connectors) yet as laid up at the moment , suppose to be a lot better quality if using the proper honda one (not the china repo) ,might be a couple of weeks but from all the feed back before ordering it should be no probs , only thing is its a lot bigger so wont be just a change over and will have to find a new spot for it , the blokes i talk to were building/built chopper style bikes so relocating wasn't that big a issue where my rolling stock wise is original , as they said relocating to a spot with better air flow was not a bad idea , talked to peter kommer and he said he had some volt pack /voltpac units up for sale ie seperate reg and rec but still not sure if they are pma / rephrased compatible though he seems to think so … anyone heard of voltpacks ???? tried googling them without much luck

Flea, the Reg/rect I put you onto is a Shindengen Mofset FHO20AA, standard fitment on Honda CBR500RR's and can be had for a fraction of the price of a new one.
Read THIS to get a handle on how they work.

Back