Sitting in storage a few months, pool of brake fluid on rim. Steel brake pipe?

larrynyc

XS650 ***** Member
Reaction score
1975 stock XS650B.

Had the bike in storage a number of months. Came back to it today and found brake fluid pooled along the wheel rim and some had dripped down onto the tire. I wiped it up, and noticed a trail coming down the rotor and from where the metal brake pipe meets the caliper. that area looked pretty wet with fluid and rusted. I squeezed the brake lever, it still seemed to grip, but I heard a little gurgle down below at the caliper.

Before I start spending a ton of money on new parts, would you suspect it's probably something I could fix by simply buying this part and swapping it? It's the steel "Brake pipe" part number 306-25871-00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/264160105299

306-25871-00.jpg

Also, do you think the tire is OK (I wiped it up with soap and water)?

Thanks in advance

When I gave up working on cars for ..almost.. a living.... (Midas).. I sold-gave away most of the auto related tools... but one of the items I kept.... brake line flare kits.. standard double flair and bubble flair. The kits have come in handy over the years.

Im kinda wondering why that line decided to leak during storage. Have you tried to tighten the nut. If it's tight and you cant see brake fluid leaking from the nut then I would suspect the piston seal itself. How long has it been since you bleed the brake lines. If it been 10 years like most people do then you may have corrosion on the piston causing the leak.

Well, the original line is steel so it could have rusted through. If I had this type of system, I would most likely make my own replacement because I have all the flaring tools. I've replaced steel lines on my cars for years. I now use NiCopp brake line. It's a nickel-copper alloy and doesn't rust. It's also much easier to bend and flare than normal steel line.

If that steel line rusted through then yes no maintenance whatsoever. I can see lines rusting through on cars but a bike? Im assuming you have a nice set for the bubble/double flare. I bought a tool from advanced and what a piece of junk couldn't get it to work. I ended up using my old single flare tool from my HVAC days. No leaks however I know the double flare is the best to use on cars. If I have issues I will have to send you the line and have you make one.

I never bought an automotive flaring tool, didn't need to. I had a couple plumbing ones I inherited from my grandfather, same tool basically, just different fittings (well, actually no fittings). I was able to just buy the automotive flare fittings at the auto parts store and use them in the plumbing tools. Something like this .....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RL221S...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Back