Skull 650V-Strom, Rides and tour pics. Regular updates

Very nice. When I go off the beaten path I’ll have to remember that it’s not a 200 lb enduro bike and if it goes down there’s 500 lbs to pick up.

Not looking forward to that........Think, maybe practice on the front lawn to see if i can and what is the best way to pick it up............mmmmmmm.... i know the best way, don't drop it fool......:bike:

First fuel consumption test. From a full tank, Filled the tank to as near enough as to the same as it was, when i filled it last time and set the trip meter.

371 Kilometers.....15 Liters
24.73 Kilometers to a liter
4 Liters per 98.92 kilometers
69.9 Mpg, Imperial
58.1 Mpg, US

230.53 miles from, full to neck, on side-stand, to last bar on gauge just starting to flash.

This is Some highway speed limits, 100 kph, and 80 kph through towns, back roads, some speeding and cruising at 5,000 revs in 5th, (about 113kph). Most take offs, (except in town), are 6,000 revs through the first 3 gears. a couple of take it up to 150 kph for short bursts, a couple of rev-outs through the gears to 8,000 revs up to 120 kph then back off, about 100 klm's of 60kph 3rd gear 3000 revs

Good fuel economy. The never checked mine, I just believe the rear out in the speedo. I find that motor / tranny shifts really smoothly between 5-6K rpm.

congrats on the new bike doug.it will be great to have a more modern bike besides the xs as you most probably found out by now , a lot easier on the old bones and can go on rds normally avoid on the xs , now the prob after the new toy bit wears off will walking out to the bikes and going mmmm what do i feel like riding today and where will i go ...living up in the hills always forget how great the coast is .. have fun and keep in the wind

Good fuel economy. The never checked mine, I just believe the rear out in the speedo. I find that motor / tranny shifts really smoothly between 5-6K rpm.

Around 5200 revs the bike has a vibration till about 5800/6000 then softens out. Does your model have a vibration at all??

Fuel economy it is in the ball park of what others are getting. I will have to do a boring legal limit sedate ride to see what it will really be capable of

My gearbox is smooth as well. Going into first can clunk when it is cold. I often don't use the clutch when changing gears, Going up is no problem, still have to work on the down change. That's a riding habit i have always had, going up is no problem, still have to work on the down change, (always learn to do it on manual cars/trucks as well. never know when a thrust bearing will go)

congrats on the new bike doug.it will be great to have a more modern bike besides the xs as you most probably found out by now , a lot easier on the old bones and can go on rds normally avoid on the xs , now the prob after the new toy bit wears off will walking out to the bikes and going mmmm what do i feel like riding today and where will i go ...living up in the hills always forget how great the coast is .. have fun and keep in the wind
Thanks Jeff, Going to be doing a few rides up your way in the near future. there are a few roads i have never been on, will do some exploring. There is a valley off or in, the old Palmerston highway i want to explore.

Around 5200 revs the bike has a vibration till about 5800/6000 then softens out. Does your model have a vibration at all??

Fuel economy it is in the ball park of what others are getting. I will have to do a boring legal limit sedate ride to see what it will really be capable of

My gearbox is smooth as well. Going into first can clunk when it is cold. I often don't use the clutch when changing gears, Going up is no problem, still have to work on the down change. That's a riding habit i have always had, going up is no problem, still have to work on the down change, (always learn to do it on manual cars/trucks as well. never know when a thrust bearing will go)

Thanks Jeff, Going to be doing a few rides up your way in the near future. there are a few roads i have never been on, will do some exploring. There is a valley off or in, the old Palmerston highway i want to explore.
I never noticed a vibration but will look for it the next time I have the bike out, maybe mid week. Going into first hot or cold is about the same with a bit of a clunk too but nothing compared to the XS. I use the clutch on the up and downshift. Chicken I might chip a gear or damage something expensive.

I think they all must vibrate at that point, mine equates to 68/70mph, I have a larger engine sprocket, up one tooth.
Fuel usage on one of the first long rides I did. 250mils 13.2 Ltrs. Quite good I thought.

I never noticed a vibration but will look for it the next time I have the bike out, maybe mid week. Going into first hot or cold is about the same with a bit of a clunk too but nothing compared to the XS. I use the clutch on the up and downshift. Chicken I might chip a gear or damage something expensive.

Used to drive my father 42 Ford, 18 stud side-valve V8. That had a crash box so had to double the clutch going up the gears and double clutch going down with a rev in between going down, to catch the gear. Its easy once you know how to match the revs with the sped of the engine. That sounds a bit wrong but if your winding out the engine through the gears, the gearbox out put shaft is spinning faster making it harder to marry.

I think they all must vibrate at that point, mine equates to 68/70mph, I have a larger engine sprocket, up one tooth.
Fuel usage on one of the first long rides I did. 250mils 13.2 Ltrs. Quite good I thought.

That's dam good.........i thought i was happy with mine
I don't know what my sprocket is. I think the PO said it was factory standard. I'm happy with it for the moment. .....would make a difference to fuel consumption i guess and yours is way better than me on the fuel.

Used to drive my father 42 Ford, 18 stud side-valve V8. That had a crash box so had to double the clutch going up the gears and double clutch going down with a rev in between going down, to catch the gear. Its easy once you know how to match the revs with the sped of the engine. That sounds a bit wrong but if your winding out the engine through the gears, the gearbox out put shaft is spinning faster making it harder to marry.

That's dam good.........i thought i was happy with mine
I don't know what my sprocket is. I think the PO said it was factory standard. I'm happy with it for the moment. .....would make a difference to fuel consumption i guess and yours is way better than me on the fuel.
It was one of my first long rides, quite steady no motorways. Never equalled it since, too much RH.

if thats the goldsbourer valley best take the new beast , one of the main access rds use to be over a cane train bridge and the xs front end might find it a bit bumpy , dont think they have changed it , use to deliver timber over it yrs ago to a mushroom farm , beautiful country with still a bit of gold in the river if you feel like a bit of panning was a declared gold field back in the day but look out for the crocs

Added a couple of pics to Post #54. A Google route map and a pic of the old Cardstone village.............if anyone's interested

if thats the goldsbourer valley best take the new beast , one of the main access rds use to be over a cane train bridge and the xs front end might find it a bit bumpy , dont think they have changed it , use to deliver timber over it yrs ago to a mushroom farm , beautiful country with still a bit of gold in the river if you feel like a bit of panning was a declared gold field back in the day but look out for the crocs

No, from the other end. Palmerstone Highway. Had a look on Google maps this morning, cant find the road i thought i looked at on an old topographical map i had from years ago. I have since lost it, so there is no certainty my memory is not where the map is

No, from the other end. Palmerstone Highway. Had a look on Google maps this morning, cant find the road i thought i looked at on an old topographical map i had from years ago. I have since lost it, so there is no certainty my memory is not where the map is
opps i was thinking of the gillies hway , off the palmerstone theres also the old h/way rd from milla milla to ravenshoe , cuts through the misty mountains and all that rainforrest but if its the old old track /rd from near the bottem of the palmerston and comes out near milla its no longer there or at least the 2nd 1/2 isnt , after cyclone larry it got blocked off and forestry never opened it back up , went looking few yrs back and the section between jordan goldfields and milla countnt even find where the rd started as overgrown though bottem section most probably still get through all the way

This was the Palmerston after Larry Henrietta creek
Stitched_006 j.jpg

Going down to the coast.......

Had a good ride today, about 220kms. Not hwy speed, most of the time 80-90 kph. Average fuel consumption according to the instrument cluster was 26 km/L, or 3.85L/100 km. Very good I thought. I’m sure at highway speeds there would be a significant drop in fuel economy.

Tested the bike watching fir the vibration you are experiencing. My bike had nothing in the rpm range you mentioned. At approximately 4700 rpm I can feel a very minor engine vibration in the handlebars. This disappears at any engine speed above or below 4700.

From the ride, an 1880’s wooden covered bridge.

82BD09C3-4DA5-4DE7-AC5C-64E67B0D4215.jpeg
0C8C394F-CA04-4842-8EF6-C4AF5306CC83.jpeg
60182B27-92CB-4CE9-886B-1769022914E5.jpeg

Good to get out. Great pics. That bridge is cool, bet it makes a nice sound going through with the bikes..............Good mileage and interesting on the engine. Suzuki did quite a bit of upgrading in 2012 to the bike and engine power/torque.

Don’t know about that for chain lube but I really like all of Wurth’s products.
The skid plate attaches to the engine at three points with three brackets. The brackets attach to the plate with 6 x 6mm bolts. The plate isn’t the strongest I’ve seen but for me will work fine. I just wanted to keep small rocks / debris and dirt from directly hitting the front pipe and engine case.

Does look like it has good coverage for protection for the front motor/header. Saw some the other day and the owner was raving about it but it didn't do any thing for protecting from debris coming off the front wheel. ..................

looks good....not as good as mine of course but a close second:whistle:

Back