Slip on silencers needed, suggestions?

Yamadogrick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My '77 XS build has ended up with OEM headers, cut off several inches past the first header mounting bolts. The cheapo slip on mufflers I have are straight through and obnoxiously loud. Was wondering about Mike's mufflers and if anyone has had good results with any of them. Want a nice XS rumble, not quiet but not insane. Seems a 1 3/4 " ID works for fitment?
TIA, Rick in Florida 20220626_180901.jpg

Last edited:
About the nicest muffler available for these is one called the Commando. But beware, there are two versions being sold, the original and a total crap EMGO copy. You want the original. MikesXS sells the crap EMGO version so don't buy them there. Instead get them from YamahaXS650.com .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/commando-style-megaphone-muffler/

Check your headpipe diameter. If it's stock, it should be 1 1/2". The muffler I linked to above should slip on without the need for any adapters (good because they always leak, lol).

Mammys2014.jpg

You might also consider replacing your headpipes. They are a double wall construction so the inner pipe is much smaller. This hinders performance. The aftermarket 1.5" O.D. replacements will have a larger I.D. and perform better, and they're not that expensive .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/xs-performance-chrome-1-5-od-headpipes/

5Twins, thank you! Always suspicious of anything from Mikes, but never had a problem with stuff from 650Central (MMM) or yam650.com. Gonna save my pennies and go with your suggestion. That should work and look great on the old gal.
Cheers, RIck

I notice your headpipes are bluing. That shouldn't happen with the stock double wall pipe, unless you're really lean. Did that just happen after installing the VM carbs? If so, then you have some tuning to do. Those aftermarket single wall headpipes will blue up much more and easier but they are pretty thick so they will be OK if your jetting is sorted. I've had them on my '83 for a couple years now and they're just starting to get a tinge of gold on them. Pretty good I think considering all the carb experimenting I've done on that bike, lol.

NewWheelMounted3.jpg

Back