Slo' Motion Bobber

Lucked out with those blocks...Craigslist score. Pattern shop in Saginaw bought a bunch BEFORE they secured the contract on a job, they were just tryin' to recoup some of their $$$$. Good for me, 5-12x12x6 blocks of 6061 for $110 ea.;)
Tried melting the chips once in the foundry but not enough yield to justify the effort.

You can always save and recycle the chips too. It takes a bunch to be worth much, but it's better than throwing them out.

A lot of them end up going to our scrap guy at the shop, when I pay attention and keep 'em separated. Had a neighbor who used to scrap but he has since moved.

Yeah, you need close to 100lbs of chips to even make the drive to a scrap place worth it. It's much easier to drop them in a scrap bin if you work somewhere thatll let you.

All the appropriate holes in the appropriate spots...
100_0550.JPG 100_0551.JPG

...spun up a couple alignment slugs...
100_0549.JPG 100_0552.JPG

...time to start prettying 'em up...

100_0553.JPG 100_0554.JPG 100_0555.JPG

...on to the rotary table next

I like it :D you gonna round off the edges more or just stick with the small radius edges?

Yeah gonna TRY to radius over, just knocked the sharps off with a file for now. May have to do some experimenting with a router bit...VERRRY light cuts!
Plenty of scrap to practice on

May have to do some experimenting with a router bit...VERRRY light cuts!
I've had good results routing 6061 on a router table. Your mill should be just the ticket for routing.

Thinking a small radius round-over bit with a guide bearing should work. Might be freehand work with the shape, hence the light cuts.

Thinking a small radius round-over bit with a guide bearing should work. Might be freehand work with the shape, hence the light cuts.
Freehand works, but I can tell you from doing it both ways, using the table makes it way easier.

Oh freehand on the mill table not with the router for sure...not that brave! Router spins too fast anyway

Ahh... gotcha.
Long time ago a buddy wanted me to make some gear legs for his homebuilt. We got some .75" 7075-T6 and had 3 legs waterjetted from the sheet.... one for testing and 2 for his airplane. The test piece cracked when I tried to bend it with my 20T press. We took it to a heat treat shop and had it annealed. I cut off the cracked piece, and since it was now relatively soft, we decided to see if we could radius it. I used a craftsman wood router and a good quality carbide bit. It was hard to get consistent results freehand so I borrowed a table from a buddy. Results were excellent and was now easy to bend. Routed the other 2, bent 'em to the template I'd made and took 'em back to be treated back up to -T6 hardness.
That was over 20yr ago. Recently heard he was still flying with 'em. So yeah... it's doable with a router. Here's the test piece I still have in my scrounge bin. Each corner was cut with one pass.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Back