Smokin

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Everyone back again with some questions!

working on a 78 XS with a Mike XS XScharge PMA (with Battery)

I am building another new XS chopper bikes done and great, got the lights wired up and everything turns on from the key.

I had spark while kicking it and I put the battery charger on it. Well it heated the coil and the coil actually melted a tad bit . I have recently bought a new coil from MIKES and connected it all up. have power. no spark?

Could it be that I burned out the e advance? just can't figure out what I could have messed up! any clues?

Need to be more specific.

PMA is a charging system...........An E-Advance is ignition. ......................No mention of your ignition system

If you left the ignition on for any length of time while the bike wasn't running, like while charging which I assume is how the coil got hot. Then yes the Ignition is most likely toast. They REALLY don't like being left on. I'd say there's a 99.99% chance you need a new ignition.

that's definitely what happened. Got the new ignition. great spark. The issue I am having now is the coil getting hot still. I understand that its because there power to it when the key is off?

At the moment there's no fuse or anything in my wiring so the battery + goes straight from the battery to the key and coil. Would this be a simple fix????

The issue I am having now is the coil getting hot still. I understand that its because there power to it when the key is off?

There's no power to the coil with the key off. At least there's not supposed to be.

Ok so lets say there's no power to the coil when the key if off. when I switch the key and kick the bike (to show spark) the coil automatically starts to get hot. waited for a bit but didn't seem to be cooling off so I just disconnected battery.

The coil getting hot when you turn the key on is normal. Cool down after powering off could take some time.
How hot is hot?
How long after shutdown did it stay hot?

I guess for starters you need to measure and see if there's power at the coil with the key off.

Does it have the correct primary resistance for the ignition system? If it's too low you will have high current through it.

Back