Sneaky one

Noidea

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got a tx650 with a sneaky problem. Originally it wouldnt idle and would only stay on with the throttle bieng held. I tore down carbs everything was up to spec. Did compression test was low on both wet and dry test so i did a overhaul. changed the rings and the exhaust valves. When i put the engine back in it ran great 2nd kick and fired up. Idled and all rode it around town the next day and she was purring. I noticed that it was kinda loud because i had set valves to .012 and .006 so i wanted to change to .006 and .003 after that that same original problem came up. So I put them back to.012 and .006 and no dice. I have the same original problem all over again the compression is 130 at both sides cold at the moment I took apart and made sure my carbs were up to spec and nothing. Floats are 25mm o ring is in middle of the needle i have the proper jets in place the idle screw is turn out 3/4 of an turn. what could it be? any help would be appreciated

I noticed when looking at the manuals it says starter jet is .6 what is that? Theres no picture of it in the exploded view not sure what that is thanks

The starter jet in your carbs (in all Mikuni carbs AFAIK) is fixed, not removable or replaceable. It's the hole in the bottom of the choke chamber. If I were you I'd put the ignition at the front of the line in troubleshooting.

That makes sense cause it such an intermittent problem i wanted to switch out the wiring harness, there are frayed and exposed wires going to the coils. Maybe ill start with splicing new wires into there. Would something like that cause the condition Im having though? This is crazy i just want to get to the bottom of this situation.

Could something like frayed coil primary wires keep your engine from running? Do you really need to ask?

When you're working to eliminate a performance failure, don't start by trying to identify the one and only cause of the problem and go smacking at symptoms. There's often more than one source of trouble. Look for defects and correct them.

Your right stupid question. Will take your advice and look at overall picture not just the problems I'm having. Thanks for the response.

Back