snort'n Norton, the pointless? thread

Well "off with it's head" the only reasonable option.
exhaust valve is brutal bad. Looks like it spent a long time set too tight?

IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG

Wonder what the cam looks like? Was it run like that or do you know?
Think I'm hearing a loose cam chain, I'd better look there too.
PO had owned for a long time but didn't get much info from him, he's a "do-rag" Harley guy now LOL
From general looking 'round the bike wouldn't trust much of anything he said anyways.
Know what I mean Vern?

Think I'm hearing a loose cam chain, I'd better look there too.
PO had owned for a long time but didn't get much info from him, he's a "do-rag" Harley guy now LOL
From general looking 'round the bike wouldn't trust much of anything he said anyways.
Know what I mean Vern?
You have the tapered tool the screws into the end of the cam? Might as well replace the cam and crank shaft seal and tapered seal for the oil pump too. Also mark the magnetic rotor with the inside of the points cavity, makes timing it a lot easier.

You have the tapered tool the screws into the end of the cam? Might as well replace the cam and crank shaft seal and tapered seal for the oil pump too.
Scope creep! :mad: I'll make the tapered tool.
Exhaust nut wrench (made from a chunk of steel fence post :rolleyes:) works good. threads in head are good.

Back in the 70's-80's when I last worked on any Norton's if you needed parts it was Brian Slark, but I understand he got recruited to head Barber's museum shop effort

I'll make the tapered tool.
Exhaust nut wrench (made from a chunk of steel fence post :rolleyes:
Hi Gary, if memory serves there was an exhaust nut wrench in that tub of parts that came with that 72.?

Hi Gary, if memory serves there was an exhaust nut wrench in that tub of parts that came with that 72.?
What I was thinking!
So I went digging this morning, alas it was marked Norton spring wrench. :poo:
:shrug:
Fence spanner got ground, cleaned, and some paint after the pic.
KIMG0331.JPG

Eh, when I 'ad me Norton as a penniless student, there were one postgrad had a Norton exhaust spanner which used to get passed around among Norton owners, he'd no doubt be intrigued to hear that the tool he owned at university had acquired legendary status, looked a lot like this:

tool1229_a.jpg

What I was thinking!
So I went digging this morning, alas it was marked Norton spring wrench. :poo:
:shrug:
Fence spanner got ground, cleaned, and some paint after the pic.
View attachment 204994
Waste not want not, I've certainly made tools out of far less appealing materials. Despite being made from Tee Post it looks like it was fairly well executed and perfectly functional.

The original exhaust rose "nuts" had 1 extra thick fin for the tool to work on so the fins wouldn't bend. Trouble was that you couldn't get to it all the time and had bent fins on the rose. The new and improved ones have 3 of the thicker fins and are a much better way to tighten up the exhaust pipe.
There is a difference between 750 pipes and stock 850 pipes. The 750 style don't have the cross over and the 850's do. I long ago starter using the 750 pipes as they way easier to remove that the ones with the cross over. The cross over on XS650's are much better by not being so close to the head,

Yeah crossover long gone on this bike. Anyone got a cross to the AN copper crush washer # handy?
Pulled the trigger, order at Bonneville shop including an overhaul gasket set, made.

Back