snort'n Norton, the pointless? thread

Wonder what the cam looks like? Was it run like that or do you know?
Cam looks good pistons not so much. Haven't removed the valves yet.
AKA the money pit.
KIMG0361.JPGKIMG0362.JPGKIMG0355.JPGKIMG0356.JPGKIMG0358.JPGKIMG0363.JPGKIMG0342.JPG

What exactly are we looking at here, it looks like the engine case has taken a hit?
View attachment 205239

Aren’t they all? :whistle:
front sprocket drive chain.
There was other evidence it prolly broke a chain.
Tranny # doesn't match engine n frame.

chain guard.jpg
:cautious:
Broken "fence" is part of inner primary cover.

@Zonie (and others) cam opinion? followers look good barely discernible polish line in middle.
KIMG0367.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1081.JPG
    DSCN1081.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1082.JPG
    DSCN1082.JPG
    766.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN1083.JPG
    DSCN1083.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1084.JPG
    DSCN1084.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN1085.JPG
    DSCN1085.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 103
The joys of Brit bike ownership... :laugh2:

Joy=inverse/cost... :cautious:
Hi Jim,
in the Northern Prairie climate all you can do with a Japanese bike in winter is wait for summer.
Owning a Britbike gives you the joy of tinkering with it all winter so it'll run next summer.
And yeah, one also needs a heated garage.

This seems to be working.
View attachment 205538

Hi Gary,
no, that's not a heated garage, that's a heated garage user.
Regardless of my garage temperature I can also look like that (except for being older and wrinklier)
if my BFH hits my part-holding hand instead of what it's holding.

As long as the "shootout" doesn't include running an endurance event against competently fettled Yamahas, you'll be fine, Gary. If it does, you may be mocked and reviled. Hey, did I ever tell you the one about the certified Norton mechanic, the University of Illinois graduate electrical engineer, and the Norton Electra? The Prince of Darkness ruled them all, and he didn't need no stinkin' ring to do it.
Hey Chavez will be there, so I'll look good in comparison to his "reliable" ride last year? :lmao:

Been measuring in my know nothing way on the Norton 850 motor trying to read the tea leaves on what went wrong. Compared to an XS 650 .002" clearance, pistons are WAY undersize for the "recent" bore job, who knows what led to this being "thrown together" checking at unworn areas of the pistons an .008" feeler easily fit. bore gauge mic showed the same, pistons .007 smaller than the bore. Apparently much bigger difference is normal still looking but found .0055" as one "proper" clearance measurement.

Back