Aeehummm ... ..mmm

Mr 5T says Yours is a 77 Model
And the link you Posted says

The E-Advancer Ignition System is a direct replacement for the Yamaha T.C.I. system on the 1980-83 Yamaha XS650.

Usually it is not explicitly written a specific Year model range unless it is so
There is mention of Bushings and a Rod.
I can suspect without having read it that your 77 has internal Bushings in the cam Already ( for the advance unit )
that a 80-83 does not
What that leads to is uncertain .I do know that the bushings you have can come out . Done it myself.
But this needs some investigation There is the Possibility the enclosed bushings in the kit for an 80 -83 don't fit a 77

Yes, according to the instructions you linked to, they do supply the needed part that replaces your mechanical advance unit and locks the advance rod to the cam. Yes, use your advance rod. You can ignore the parts about installing bushings in the ends of the cam, your cam already has them. That is needed to run this ignition on an '80-'84 model. The cams on those came with no bushings in them.

It's everything you need. He's one for less money.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234134828121?hash=item368385f459:g:LGUAAOSwnQFeb43k
upload_2021-8-29_11-18-20.png

If you buy the Boyer system, you remove the old points and the advance mechanism. Boyer supplies a long, threaded rod which fits along inside the camshaft and secured at the r/h end with a shaped spacer and a nut. The magnets for the signal attach to the points end of the rod. The static plate fits using the screw holes for the points. My XS has BB and I've had their systems on a Triumph TR6, Norton Commando and Kawasaki Z1 without no problems ever.

Edit - crossed with Grizld, Gary and Greg

Both blue box (Micro Power) and red box (Micro Digital) versions eliminate breaker points, condenser, and mechanical advance.The only difference is that the red box system requires a coil with 3.5 to 5 ohm resistance which the buyer must supply, and the blue box system requires a low resistance 0.6 ohm coil included in the Boyer kit. The same timing plate is used in both, and both advance the spark electronically in a continuous curve.

I found this on a thread. looks like it does remove the advance. Then would this not be my cheapest option??? Plus mikes is out of stock on the ignition that replaces the breaker

Your best bet would be to get the Boyer. It's a complete kit, everything you need. If installed correctly once you set the timing it doesn't change. If it does change it's because of the cam chain stretching. The blue box is the best one they make. Whatever you do buy it as a complete kit.

The Boyer system has a excellent record. I have it on my bike, have had no problems. I use the blue box.
I think Gary meant don't go on price alone. Mikes kit may be cheaper but it's track record is iffy.
mikes kit is actually more at the end of the day. bb is the way i am going to go. it just seems simple. we like simple

I went in to the guid and it looks to be in okay shape. The side of the guide looked like maybe it could of been worn. And is that not just cocked a little to the left? It should be at 12 o clock position correct?

Back