If you are using the same aftermarket reg/rec as linked to in that thread, a correct unit for the '79 and older alternator, then you don't want or need to install the nylon screws. On the older alternator, the inner brush is grounded full time (through it's mounting screws) and the outer brush is fed regulated power from the regulator. So, positive in through the outer brush and negative out at the inner brush. This completes the circuit. By installing the nylon screws on the inner brush, you have isolated it from ground and the circuit is no longer complete. You will get no charging output.

You must connect the black wire from the new reg/rec unit. It is the ground wire for both the reg and the rec.
before i replaced the screw with the nylon it would blow my fuse on my field wire ( power to the brown wire after the switch) I originally replaced all 4 screws then found a thread on the forum that said it was to only be 3 of them. Before with the 4 screws replaced i preformed a magnetic slap test. i was getting nothing. Then replacing the the 4th screw with the metal screw i then had a magnetic field when the key was in the on position. i have not blown a fuse since replacing the screws. I understand that I need the reg/rec Grounded or else it will not work and i will receive full charge from the stator with no regulation. I am going today to check the reg rec to see if it is good. I had a pretty long talk with gary about weather i need to replace the screws and did not understand why i was blowing a fuse if they did not need to be replaced. It is in the thread above.

On the original set-up, there is a black ground wire connected to the inner brush. But, it isn't providing the ground for the brush, it's mounting screws do. Instead, it's picking up a ground and carrying it to the regulator. So, maybe try connecting your reg/rec black ground wire to the inner brush?

Brown or green wires don't connect to the inner brush, or to each other. Brown is switched power from the key and was originally fed into the regulator. Green is regulated power coming out of the regulator and running to the outer brush.

Have we established that you have the correct reg/rec for a '79 and older alternator? One that sends a regulated power signal to the outer brush? Is yours just like the one in the link you provided to that other thread? It should have 2 plugs on it so it can be connected up like the original components were (plug right into the stock harness and connectors).

On the original set-up, there is a black ground wire connected to the inner brush. But, it isn't providing the ground for the brush, it's mounting screws do. Instead, it's picking up a ground and carrying it to the regulator. So, maybe try connecting your reg/rec black ground wire to the inner brush?

Brown or green wires don't connect to the inner brush, or to each other. Brown is switched power from the key and was originally fed into the regulator. Green is regulated power coming out of the regulator and running to the outer brush.

Have we established that you have the correct reg/rec for a '79 and older alternator? One that sends a regulated power signal to the outer brush? Is yours just like the one in the link you provided to that other thread? It should have 2 plugs on it so it can be connected up like the original components were (plug right into the stock harness and connectors).
yes it is exact model in the thread. I am no longer running stock wiring harness either 5twins. I have it hard wired with female connectors. power after switch is connected to my brown wire in one connector and running to a brush wire that seems to be black or dark brown. it has a lot of crud on it. the green wire from the reg/rec is connected to the green brush wire. the 3 white wires are connected to the 3 white coming from the stator. the red wire from reg/rec is going to battery positive. the black wire is going to frame ground.

i could connect the the black wire to the inner brush and connect the green wire to the frame ground???

No, the mistake I see is connecting the brown wire to a brush wire. You don't want that. The brown wire is switched power from the key and has power any time the key is on. You run that to the reg/rec and it supplies it power. The green wire is regulated power out of the reg/rec, that constant power that comes in on the brown, but only fed out when the alternator needs to be turned on and charge. Don't ground the green wire.

That diagram you linked to doesn't apply to your early type alternator and early type matching reg/rec. It's for adapting the later ground regulating type regulator to an early alternator. When doing that, you must unground the inner brush by using the nylon screws and then hook the brown wire to it instead of it's original ground wire.

Yes, green wire from the regulator goes to the outer brush, inner brush is grounded by it's 3 mounting screws so, technically, you don't even need a black ground wire run to it. Like I said, on the original, the black wire run to it wasn't supplying it a ground but rather picking one up and sending it to the regulator .....

EarlyBrushMountLabeled.jpg

If you look at the inside of the alternator, you can see the 3 inner brush mounting screws and how they screw right into the alternator housing. This grounds that inner brush. The outer brush has it's one mounting screw isolated from the alternator housing. It has to be because it's fed power. It would short out if it wasn't isolated .....

EarlyBrushesInside.jpg

So I ran the screws back in. I hooked brown to power after the switch from reg rec. No brush. I ran the black inner brush wire to frame ground. Green outer brush is going to green wire from reg/rec. White are to white. Meter is giving a reading of any where from 12 to 20v depending on if I give it some throttle. I checked forward and reverse byess on the reg/rec. It seems to be good. What am I missing here????

Yes, that's not good, lol, too much charging voltage. It should top out in the mid to upper 14's. Sounds like the regulator is not doing it's job. Yes, there will be 12 volts sent out on the green wire from the regulator to the outer brush, but not constantly. The regulator is supposed to switch this power on and off depending on when it senses the system voltage is too low. When the system voltage gets too low, it turns on the voltage and the alternator starts putting out a charging voltage. When the system voltage is good, there will be no voltage sent out on the green wire. The alternator and charging voltage is shut off.

So I'm planning on going with ricks lithium ion reg/rec. Is there something I need to know about hooking this system up? Will this reg/rec require nylon screws.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Universal-Rectifier-Regulator-Lithium-Compatible-14_504
Anything I need to know before hooking this guy up?

No Nylon screws.............. Wire to the diagram in my previous post link...............I have 1 green wire to the earth but both can be connected............if using only one of the Green wires make sure it is the heavier of the 2

Back