Social media to resolve XS issues

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't a rant, for or against, social media.
But could one of the younger members explain why it is the preferred method to try to get an education?

When I was young (I am not that old but technology has advanced rapidly) I would seek out knowledge or education from those that were doing what I needed to learn. I've used vacation days/time off to work with roofers, electricians, plumbers, welders, farmers etc. to get at least a working knowledge of something I needed doing. These days I rely more on google, forum boards, and youtube.

I use FaceBook and enjoy keeping up with relatives, old friends and acquaintances. Folks who I otherwise would have lost track of. I use it for entertainment, some of the cartoons are knee slappers. And the five-minute craft posts have neat ideas.
I don't rely on it for truth in political positions or guidance for living my life.
But I don't understand how people expect to get a deeper knowledge from short disconnected answers there.

It's a matter of feedback. In areas where the right kind of feedback is possible, learning from the internet blows in-person learning away, in part because you can find a brilliant teacher.

The issue I have with social media is the huge amount of false and mis-information that people just spread in order to be the "first" to get it "out there".
I ALWAYS do diligence when reading anything that may have any impact on life as we know it. Whether its legal or financial,,, whatever you read should be verified before posting it out there.
Especially now a days with all the political crap going on,, it's like unless you were there and saw it,,, did it really happen?
Too much fake and incorrect "news" being spread.

This isn't a rant, for or against, social media.
But could one of the younger members explain why it is the preferred method to try to get an education?

When I was young (I am not that old but technology has advanced rapidly) I would seek out knowledge or education from those that were doing what I needed to learn. I've used vacation days/time off to work with roofers, electricians, plumbers, welders, farmers etc. to get at least a working knowledge of something I needed doing. These days I rely more on google, forum boards, and youtube.

I use FaceBook and enjoy keeping up with relatives, old friends and acquaintances. Folks who I otherwise would have lost track of. I use it for entertainment, some of the cartoons are knee slappers. And the five-minute craft posts have neat ideas.
I don't rely on it for truth in political positions or guidance for living my life.
But I don't understand how people expect to get a deeper knowledge from short disconnected answers there.
bolding mine
The answer that you seek is in the question you ask...

It's the preferred method of just about everything now because most people want instant gratification from everything everywhere all the time. They aren't interested in the journey of learning as are scholars, seasoned craftsmen, or genuinely interested youngsters. They want the 5 minute tutorial, and they want the result in less than a day so they can post it to social media before they lose interest and move on to the next thing. They aren't interested in having a well-developed political position because they don't even know what the definition of a proper source like this is. This world is chock full of really interesting things to see, do, and talk about but no one seems to care unless it's trending online. Technology is moving faster and faster exponentially, and our culture is moving at the same pace that it always has. If we don't blow ourselves up first, we'll catch up. Then those people will know when to put the phone down, what is appropriate to post online, what information to cherish, what to ignore.

I have worked for the US Postal Service for over thirty years. The Post Office is big on training. When I first started working there, training was done in small groups, hands on.
Then they figured it was cheaper to herd a bunch of us into a classroom and just instruct ( tell us ) how to do something.
That morphed into classes that were taught remotely, one instructor in Oklahoma would hold a satellite class and speak to hundreds of us across the country. We still sat in a big conference room ,but only watched a satellite feed of a guy that was talking to us from another state.
Then they decided that satellite time was too expensive, so...same class, only now we were just staring at a speaker on a table in front of the room with the same guy in Oklahoma blathering on in a monotone voice for four hours.
Then finally came, no classroom at all. The training moved to online. Sit in front of a computer and attend a virtual class. No human contact at all. No one to ask questions of, just take a pass or fail test at the end.
I'm so glad I'm almost out.

Back