Solid State Power Box for XS650

posplayr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post your questions here or you can contact me at solidstatepowerbox@gmail.com

UPDATE 1/29/2014:

Here is a preliminary installation guide specific to the XS650.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6801365/preliminary-sspb-installation-guide-xs650-pdf-2-1-meg?da=y

I'll continue to update this as questions or issues arise.

Jim

Here are the drawings for a basic setup on a fuse box model (stock and conversion to SSPB).

Nominal_XS650_Fusebox_zps2cecf648.jpg

Nominal_XS650_Fusebox_W_SSPB_zpsdf694333.jpg

Basically the SSPB has 4 power outputs on

• Pin 1 R(0) (10A output to Unswitched loads including a power plug and trickle charging)
  • Pin 10 IGN Loads (10A output)
  • Pin 7 SIGNAL Loads (10 Amp output)
  • Pin 9 HEADLAMP loads (10 amp output)

It should be pretty clear that each of those SSPB outputs goes to power those respective circuits.

The SSPB also needs two inputs from Ignition Switch and Kill switch but in this case we are adding an additional Start Sw for headlamp cutout.

• Pin 5 IGN SW (input)
  • Pin 3 KILL SW (input)
  • Pin 4 START SW (input when wired to create a +12V signal when cranking the engine)

There is still an additional 10 amp circuit for additional accessories (horn or aux headlamp/driving lights). Thos connections are not shown but they could be configured in one of three ways.

• Turn ON ACC Loads with IGN SW
  • Turn ON ACC Loads with +12V applied to Pin 7
  • Turn ON ACC Loads with Ground applied to Pin 7

There are also the primary wire connection that come out the side of the SSPB. 14 ga RED primaries go to the battery and the main charging output wire from the rectifier. This improves charging by making the power connections go straight to the SSPB.

The SSPB also needs a ground and a 16ga wire with ring lug is provided.

The wires I added are most all brown to match the original diagram, but I did change the thickness to differentiate between the OUTPUTS (thicker) and SW input (which are thinner). All wire connections are shown with a heavy black dot.

mplifiedandCompleteWiringDiagram_wSSPB_zpsc913042d.jpg

The primary benefits you see from here are that there is no longer any significant current running through either the IGN switch (only parking light power) or the Motor Stop switch. SIGNAL,HEADLAMP and IGNITION circuits remain segregated with equivalent "safe" solid state relays. So although there are some slight differences over the years as to how each of these circuits is wired in the harness, the connections shown at the fusebox will always be the same.

As is this is a minimum configuration, I have omitted the additional ACC channel for clarity.

In order to get the headlamp cutout from the solenoid signal, the wiring has to be reconfigured for high side control as is more traditional. If you don't have and Engine stop or a push button the SSPB defaults back to IGN switch control only. Of course because all power from battery and Alternator is routed through the SSPB it is fully protected "safe power" with the built in current and thermal limiting.
Hi XS650 Owners,

My name is Jim (AKA Posplayr) and I'm an electrical engineer that has designed and built what I call the Solid State Power Box. It is a fuse-box replacement to provide enhanced features for your motorcycle that are only attainable by the integration of modern automotive grade electronics.

The Solid State Power Box (SSPB) was originally conceived as an upgrade to the GS Suzuki standard fuse boxes which you can find described in links at the GS Resources where I am a long time member.

See the All NEW Solid State Power Box and INSTALLATIONS

So while the SSPB form factor was designed to fit the GS Suzuki's as it turns out the functionality would benefit most any of the older non fuel injected bikes. So I'm here to see if anyone would be interested in the SSPB; they are available in limited (US Made) production. The first 10 have been delivered to GS Suzuki owners.

What the SSPB is about:

The SSPB eliminates your conventional fuse box for power distribution. It eliminates the stress on your harness for battery and charging loads. It also distributes your power without overloading your ignition, kill or other accessory switches because it has the equivalent of 5 internal solid state relays. Those switches only need to signal the SSPB to turn power on. Each channel is capable of 10 amps with a total limited for safety to 20 amps. It does all of this in a very compact form factor ( 3.9"x1.7"x1.5" LxWxH) excluding the 10 pin Molex connector.

The SSPB has 1 un-switched channel and 4 switched channels. The typical inputs to the SSPB are the ignition switch and the kill switch to control your Signal and Ignition circuits respectively. If you like you can also control your headlamp circuit to cutout during starter cranking or just allow it to be controlled by the ignition switch. The fourth switched channel is for an accessory that can be controlled by your option of either the ignition switch , separate +12V switch or ground switch. Of course the un-switched channel can be used to either add other accessories or accommodate a trickle charger.

Each solid state channel provides "Safe Power" because it can detect shorts and thermal overloads virtually instantaneously. Under a short condition, the SSPB will limit excessive currents, and if it persists, then thermally limit the load current until the short is removed. It then returns to normal operation. It can do this repeatedly without having to change a fuse. No more blown fuses to change with a SSPB. No more chasing down shorts by repeatedly inserting fuzes which blow in an instant. The SSPB has a flashing red LED and buzzer that provide immediate feedback when there is a fault.

The SSPB has been designed according to the same stringent standards as used for the harsh environments for modern autombiles. So if you have temporary current spikes from from battery disconnects, alternator disconnects or other surges, the SSPB will limit those spikes to protect itself as well as your other valuable electronic components which are probably not as well protected as the SSPB.

Here is a picture of the tabless SSPB that seems like it would work well for your XS650.

SSPB_Tabless_zps2e3ae684.jpg

UNDER_THE_Cover_zps44924a40.jpg

I have reviewed a few XS650 schematics and have modified a functional diagram of the SSPB to match the XS650 color codes. That file is attached as a pdf file.

The tabless SSPB is avaliable for $150 plus small flat rate shipping and insurance. That is $8 for US and about $10 for Canada. The SSPB is a very rugged automotive quality device with the electronics thermally bonded to an aluminum heat-sink/base. The SSPB is 100% tested and I'm offering a 2 year warranty to repair or replace for XS650 owners from this site.

EDIT: Street Tracker is in the process of installing his SSPB, so thanks to everybody for reading this far.

As I mentioned I'm an electrical engineer and I designed and build the SSPB so most any technical aspects of the SSPB and it's installation I can handle with expert advice. However practical and first hand knowledge of the XS650 would benefit anyone in the finer points of the physical installation. That is why I need a first brave sole. :wink2:

Good luck and thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• SSPB_Functional_Diagram_Yamaha_XS650.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
I have interest in giving it a go with you. I do need to set up a clean system and I do not like the fuse boxes I have currently, this definitely looks like a very sanitary option.

Hmmmmmmmm I like your Idea.....And it seems were both in the same town.....I'm in the process of improving my SG (see my thread" Improving my SG"). Looks like a good fit.

I just viewed your videos on the other web site, and they are very well done and detailed. Your product is first class and well built for sure. I find your price at $150 to be on the high side, but if you have customers that will pay that, then that's all that counts.

However, I use 4 blade type automotive fuses, which is very simple and inexpensive. I turn my headlight off for starting with the stock handlebar switch. Some lads use the stock XS650 Safety Relay to control the headlight. I've operated my XS650 for 7 years now, and I've never blown a fuse.

Something else that you may find, is that a lot of XS650 lads are electrically challenged. Quite often they want to remove as much factory wiring as possible. Their idea being that simpler is better. Your SSPB, while very capable, may simply be overly complicated/over engineered for the average XS650 rider. I hope you sell lots of these to the XS650 group, but be prepared for lots of hand holding.

UPDATE 1/29/2014:

Here is a preliminary installation guide specific to the XS650.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6801365/preliminary-sspb-installation-guide-xs650-pdf-2-1-meg?da=y

I'll continue to update this as questions or issues arise.

Jim

Hi RG,
Thanks for your comments; it is much appreciated.

I agree that some will certainly view the SSPB as an overly complicated fuse box at 3 or 4 times the cost. However I would also bet that those same people have never attempted to solve the typical challenges you encounter with old motorcycle electrical systems and harnesses. In contrast, I have done such and I view the current SSPB as having a minimal feature set given the undertaking.

Granted all old motorcycles don't have the same problems at the same levels of severity but to a greater or lessor extent there are problems and the SSPB aims to be an integrated modern electronics approach to those problems. By modern electronics approach I mean using solid state v.s. any type of mechanical relay and by integrated I mean small form factor delivering upwards of 200 watts of power at 97-98% efficiency with conventional and standard motorcycle harnessing.

For most people electronics is "out of site out of mind" and people don't need or want to have an electrical engineering degree to ride a 30 year old bike. That is until they end up with a melted fuse box, poor charging, over charging, low coil voltages, starter kickbacks , fried harnesses, melted grounds, blown electronics and the list keeps going on not to even mention adding anything new to your bike. So once these various problems do raise their ugly head or if you want to do a complete rebuild and not just put in stock components (with the same issues) that is where the need for the SSPB arises.

I don't know if you are aware of what a Series R/R is but I believe I was one of if not the first person to post on-line a comparative analysis with wave forms of a Series R/R as compared to Shunt R/R's. Again there are millions of motorcycles that have been produced over the last 30 years with shunt R/R's and there are plenty of people that have gone with out a series R/R but anyone that has changed to one will never go back. This has now become a standard upgrade to PM charging system throughout the web. At the GSResources (as well as other websites) it took a couple of years for the Series R/R to become the accepted defacto standard for charging system cures. I see the same path occurring for the SSPB.

To your point about people not wanting to know much about lectrics, in order to produce such a product it has to be bulletproof and needs to be able to handle the same care and handling as a standard passive fuse box. As a result, the design standards I adopted for the SSPB to operate are from 6-24V which is a pretty wide margin for a 12V system. It acts passive when off when just delivering and protecting unswitched power (less than 2 milli-amp draw). It is capable of 10 amps per channel for a total of 50 amps even though externally I limit that to 15-20 amps. There are 1500 watt transient suppressors on each low impedance power line (i.e. 6 total) so not only will it tolerate +100V or -100V spikes, (as well as being reverse power protected) it will also protect anything else that you connect to it. An if you have a SSPB as your primary power distribution that is everything on your bike.

Solid state power distribution is becoming more and more common in automotive electronics and especially high performance military system. Fuses and mechanical relays are just too large and not as reliable as a solid state solution not to even mention that the solid state provides what I call "safe power" (current clamping and thermal protections with automatic rest). So in my view it is only a matter of time before this type of technology will be adopted if not expected. The SSPB will more than anything else make the electronics "out of sight out of mind". So the SSPB aims to be more than just a fuse box, partially to justify the bother but more importantly to solve the practical problems identified above and to do it in a simple and integrated way.

As for the $150 price, given what is involved and until there is a much larger market I doubt you will see any small producer selling it for any cheaper.

Thanks again.
Jim

PS: Nice bike and congratulations on your recent award.

Last edited:
Not sure the TCI is really a technical challenge as much as a product challenge. There seem to be many ignition manufacturers even if there is no direct after market replacement for the TCI.

Jim;

You bring up many good points. You have a great product, and I believe you will have many happy customers.

Thanks again; I appreciate the comments. I have put a lot of thought into the SSPB before even embarking on the detailed design.

There was way too much effort involved if I though that I was simply going to be able to sell 10 units at the GSR.

Nice Product. A real new challenge would be a replacement TCI for the old Hitachi TID12-01B.

While you did not mention it; the R/R charging system write up while detailed is quite dated. With the availability of Series R/R's the charging systems problems are almost completely solved assuming a good installation. The write up appears to only deal with Shunt regulators which are a pox on motorcycles to this day.

sorry this is the one.

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFaq.pdf

Hi XS650 Owners,

My name is Jim (AKA Posplayr) and I'm an electrical engineer that has designed and built what I call the Solid State Power Box. It is a fuse-box replacement to provide enhanced features for your motorcycle that are only attainable by the integration of modern automotive grade electronics.

The Solid State Power Box (SSPB) was originally conceived as an upgrade to the GS Suzuki standard fuse boxes which you can find described in links at the GS Resources where I am a long time member.

See the All NEW Solid State Power Box and INSTALLATIONS

So while the SSPB form factor was designed to fit the GS Suzuki's as it turns out the functionality would benefit most any of the older non fuel injected bikes. So I'm here to see if anyone would be interested in the SSPB; they are available in limited (US Made) production. The first 10 have been delivered to GS Suzuki owners.

What the SSPB is about:

The SSPB eliminates your conventional fuse box for power distribution. It eliminates the stress on your harness for battery and charging loads. It also distributes your power without overloading your ignition, kill or other accessory switches because it has the equivalent of 5 internal solid state relays. Those switches only need to signal the SSPB to turn power on. Each channel is capable of 10 amps with a total limited for safety to 20 amps. It does all of this in a very compact form factor ( 3.9"x1.7"x1.5" LxWxH) excluding the 10 pin Molex connector.

The SSPB has 1 un-switched channel and 4 switched channels. The typical inputs to the SSPB are the ignition switch and the kill switch to control your Signal and Ignition circuits respectively. If you like you can also control your headlamp circuit to cutout during starter cranking or just allow it to be controlled by the ignition switch. The fourth switched channel is for an accessory that can be controlled by your option of either the ignition switch , separate +12V switch or ground switch. Of course the un-switched channel can be used to either add other accessories or accommodate a trickle charger.

Each solid state channel provides "Safe Power" because it can detect shorts and thermal overloads virtually instantaneously. Under a short condition, the SSPB will limit excessive currents, and if it persists, then thermally limit the load current until the short is removed. It then returns to normal operation. It can do this repeatedly without having to change a fuse. No more blown fuses to change with a SSPB. No more chasing down shorts by repeatedly inserting fuzes which blow in an instant. The SSPB has a flashing red LED and buzzer that provide immediate feedback when there is a fault.

The SSPB has been designed according to the same stringent standards as used for the harsh environments for modern autombiles. So if you have temporary current spikes from from battery disconnects, alternator disconnects or other surges, the SSPB will limit those spikes to protect itself as well as your other valuable electronic components which are probably not as well protected as the SSPB.

Here is a picture of the tabless SSPB that seems like it would work well for your XS650.

SSPB_Tabless_zps2e3ae684.jpg

UNDER_THE_Cover_zps44924a40.jpg

I have reviewed a few XS650 schematics and have modified a functional diagram of the SSPB to match the XS650 color codes. That file is attached as a pdf file.

The tabless SSPB is avaliable for $150 plus small flat rate shipping and insurance. That is $8 for US and about $10 for Canada. The SSPB is a very rugged automotive quality device with the electronics thermally bonded to an aluminum heat-sink/base. The SSPB is 100% tested and I'm offering a 2 year warranty to repair or replace for XS650 owners from this site.

If anybody wants to be the first brave sole to do an integration and will help me develop installation documentation by providing pictures of their install I'll offer a discount to $75. Note I only need one brave sole. :thumbsup:

As I mentioned I'm an electrical engineer and I designed and build the SSPB so most any technical aspects of the SSPB and it's installation I can handle with expert advice. However practical and first hand knowledge of the XS650 would benefit anyone in the finer points of the physical installation. That is why I need a first brave sole. :wink2:

Good luck and thanks for your interest.
........................ hi i have a 1976xs650 that has a pamco 14-0901 system complete on it and currently gives no problems ,,,, what would be envolved to instal 1 of your units on my bike regards oldbiker

........................ hi i have a 1976xs650 that has a pamco 14-0901 system complete on it and currently gives no problems ,,,, what would be envolved to instal 1 of your units on my bike regards oldbiker

Hi Oldbiker,
Right now all I can do is give you a marked up schematic as I don't have a XS650 ; which is what my original requests were in this thread to find a couple people that would be willing to help me develop the documentation.

Is the attached schematic close to what you have on your bike? If so i can mark it up and make a list of required changes. For the GS Suzuki with existing fuse box the changes are quite simple and I do have an install guide that I can email you. For not fused box bikes, the challenge is to separate out the Signal,headlamp and ignition circuits after the ignition switch. Not to much trouble generally.

Send me an email to solidstatepowerbox@gmail.com and I''l forward the GS Install Manual to you and post up the marked up schematic a little later.

Jim

Attachments

• 1975_76_Harness.jpg
    1975_76_Harness.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 449
Here is an interesting thread discussing the exact issues that the SSPB is trying to address (for motorcycles at least)

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18925

I'm a little surprised how inexpensively you can buy a new harness for a XS650. The GS Suzuki harnesses are sure more than that.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-78.html#products

The discounted price for the OEM harness for my 1983 GS1100ED is about $216 for comparison.

If anybody is interest in buying both a SSPB as well as a new harness; you can have the harness drop shipped to me and I'll modify it for the SSPB for the extra cost of shipping. I'll do this for first timers so I can take pictures of the modifications for each type of harness. I might continue to do it for people depending upon how much is really involved. I will probably have to run a couple of new wires so it might involve opening up the new harness to add the couple of extra wires.

Here is an interesting thread discussing the exact issues that the SSPB is trying to address (for motorcycles at least)

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18925

I'm a little surprised how inexpensively you can buy a new harness for a XS650. The GS Suzuki harnesses are sure more than that.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-78.html#products

The discounted price for the OEM harness for my 1983 GS1100ED is about $216 for comparison.

If anybody is interest in buying both a SSPB as well as a new harness; you can have the harness drop shipped to me and I'll modify it for the SSPB for the extra cost of shipping. I'll do this for first timers so I can take pictures of the modifications for each type of harness. I might continue to do it for people depending upon how much is really involved. I will probably have to run a couple of new wires so it might involve opening up the new harness to add the couple of extra wires.

Jim you are a guy who is stepping up :thumbsup: Your a great asset for the motorcycle enthusiasts with your engineering, vision and a lot of experience and resources available, thank you.

Because there are some differences in the new harnesses compared to the original, your information could be misleading to someone working on their harness.

I would have thought using an original model harness would be better untill you can prove that Mikes harnesses match up properly to the model he is selling it for.

Because there are some differences in the new harnesses compared to the original, your information could be misleading to someone working on their harness.

I would have thought using an original model harness would be better untill you can prove that Mikes harnesses match up properly to the model he is selling it for.

I was not aware that the Mike's harnesses were that far from the OEM harness. I guess that explains why they are so cheap? :doh:

I guess there are probably not any schematics for the Mikes' harness as well? :banghead:

Well if there is some type of schematic then I'm sure I could show what modifications are required.

This is the figure I attached to the first post in this thread (attached as a pdf). It is labeled with all of the Yamaha color codes.

SSPB_Functional_Diagram_zpsa5b60b96.jpg

I took a nap so I could knock out markups to the 10 schematics I found here on the site. I'll post them when I'm done.

Back