Solid State Power Box for XS650

This is a plot from a clamp on current probe measuring the current draw for an GS electronic ignition and a pair of 3.0 Ohm Accel yellow coils. They measured at 3.3 ohms cold. This is a 4 cylinder wasted spark engine so it is firing 2 times per revolution. The same as a 2 Cylinder.

The scale is 1 amp per division starting at the small arrow marked with a 1. The average current is 2.47 amps with a peak at 3.1 amps. Data taken at 2500 RPM.

3.0%20Ohm%20Accel%20Coils%202500%20RPM_zpstvknfuaz.jpg

Well, there are a few missing bits of information here.

1. Is this a crank based or a cam based ignition?
2. Is the depicted current for both coils or just one coil?
3. What is the dwell angle? If dynamic, then at 2500 RPM.
4. What is the supply voltage?

A cam based wasted spark ignition fires two times per revolution of the cam or once per revolution of the crank in the case of a twin 360 degree crank engine, like the XS650. A four cylinder wasted spark system will fire two times per revolution of the crank or four time per revolution of the cam, so the averages will be different. In other words, the twin 360 will fire every 360 degrees of the crank, but the four cylinder will fire every 180 degrees of the crank, or every 90 degrees of the cam. So, the average current should be about double for a four cylinder wasted spark as compared to a two cylinder 360 crank wasted spark.

Last edited:
posplayr,

Well, I'm a little surprised at some of these answers considering that you are promoting an electrical control and monitor system.

1. Yes, I have a voltmeter. Your product is supposed to take care of electrical load management, with or without a voltmeter.

Yes it does manage power by trimming any load that exceed the 10 amp circuit limit. Full operation is immediately restored as soon as the load (i.e. short is removed). It does NOT manage power battery power with a user programmable shutdown process like your laptop.

2. Yes, it is illegal to ride in the US without a headlight. That is why I suggested that a electrical management system could dim the headlight to remain legal, or risk the ticket and ride home.

Your whole notion is flawed. You would have a rider ride home for extended periods of time with no or dimmed lights just to save a round trip with a pickup truck. Sorry but that is nonsense. If you think you can sell that to somebody else go ahead. I dont buy it.

3. If you inserted a ballast resistor in the ignition system the ignition system would fail at about the same time due to lower current in the primary.

Are you telling me a 2.2 ohm coil can't run with a ballast? Are you telling me all coil ballast resistors shut down the primary? Why don't you try making a legitimate argument instead of Numbered Nonsense?

4. Carrying a larger battery is not a viable option due to mounting constraints.

You are telling me you can't find a Lithium battery that has at least twice the Amp Hrs reserve as what ever Lead Acid battery is in the bike present and fits in the same space? I'm not going to look up the energy density of various batteries because your now at Numbered Nonsense #4

5. A larger battery would require a larger capacity alternator.

The whole point of the recent posts is that there is reserve charging capacity if using LED bulbs even with the 11 amp field control alternator. What are you talking about back to back 5 hour missions into Afghanistan on with a dead alternator? NN#5

6. You would still need an early warning system to take advantage of the larger battery capacity. Not having that simply means that you would be able to ride even further away from home before you realize you have a problem.

A Voltmeter and a simple load test (i.e.e turn the key on ) will tell you a whole lot earlier if you have a problem that any passive autodetection circuit. If you think there is a market for NN#6 have at it.

What is needed is a sophisticated electrical control and monitoring system to configure the electrical system to obtain the maximum time to ride home or to a safe harbor in the event of an alternator failure. You can configure your product any way you want if it accomplishes that important objective.

Here is you own quote; it really does not take you very long to totally contradict yourself.

In any event, I am not trying to shoot down your new product. I am all for any new product that will help keep the trusty XS650 on the road, but in my experience, I have found that there is a tendency to focus on the "gee whiz" aspects of a new product and lose sight of the front end, in this case, the source of power to your product.

Well, there are a few missing bits of information here.

1. Is this a crank based or a cam based ignition?
2. Is the depicted current for both coils or just one coil?
3. What is the dwell angle? If dynamic, then at 2500 RPM.
4. What is the supply voltage?

1. The GS has a pickup on the crank
  2. It is total ignition draw as already mentioned, two coils and ignitor. Did you want the firing line as well?
  3. I'll assure you it is a fat blue spark to fire off the 130 odd horse of the 1166cc engine.
  4. My bike easily charges at 14V at 2500 RPM. The setpoint is 14.25V.

Back