Some old pics.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My big sister died of covid a couple of weeks ago, her eldest son was kind enough to email a couple of pictures from her collection. Here's a couple of very old pics: First one is of my brother, Mick, starting his BSA Bantam that he converted to a scrambler, me and the old man watching on. This was in the early 60s I think, I would have been around 12 then I think. Mick went on to win champion of Champions on his solo speedway bike as well as 125 and 250cc state scramble champion. I just went on to crash into a few cars that got in my way. The old man went on to disapprove of everything we did.

Second one is at my sisters wedding, me on the right, I would have been around 15 I think, sometime around the mid 60s. Dig the rocker haircut!

The building behind was the abode my old man built sometime after he returned from the war, possibly between 49-56.. All the the bricks were handmade by him, as were the doors, frames, carpentry, etc. Concrete for foundations and floors was mixed in a wheelbarrow using a shovel. They were a super tough, competent generation,!

Windows were flyscreen painted with varnish, chook pen was behind the trellis on the right and behind that was another brick building the old man built, not sure what it was for, possible a laundry?? We lived in this temporary abode until I was about 5/6 while the old man built our permanent house. That was built using granite he carted down from the hills in a wooden trailer and shaped by hand with a hammer and chisel as building supplies, bricks and stuff, were in very short supply.

The house in now on the historically significant register in West Oz.

After the granite house was finished the temporary abode down the back was converted to a garage and workshop. I spent many hours in there growing up, stuffing al the old man's tools. Never had a clue about anything back then, but life happened and I taught myself as I grew...

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_153348.jpg
    IMG_20220625_153348.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20220626_165120.jpg
    IMG_20220626_165120.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 107
Sorry to hear about youre loss . love the old pics i was born in 1963 got some pics of my dad on his old bike in my garage truly good old days
All the best Funky

Back