Some people…..

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ferraris and Lamborghinis are not unusual in my neck of the woods, living near a race track, but I saw one out today driving on heavily salted roads. I know the bodies are carbon fiber but that salt is going to find it’s way somewhere it doesn’t belong. I hate to see salt on my seventeen year old Pontiac let alone a $500k+ vehicle. I won’t ride my $500.00 motorcycle on a road in the spring until after a good rain…..

I suppose it comes down to how much money you have.
I once at a gas station ... filling my $ 1300 XS 650
Saw a top notch Porsche New Turbo S --top of the line pulling up at the other side.

I talked to the man believing it is no car someone that is not interested in Cars or Fast driving
would have -- But he did not know much about specs or mileage. Or driving experience.

There was a time when people earned a lot money on Stock Exchange and they bought fine cars Porsches.
I have heard of Special Customization done at the factory " Sonderwunsch "

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/...sch/exclusive-manufaktur-classic-sonderwunsch

there was a slang word for the Porsches "Börsmoppe " " Stockechange Moped "

If it is horse owners they can have staff taking care of the washing and service.. And perhaps they don't keep the cars so long.

The proverbial --- " Time for a new car the ash tray is full " routine..

You don't se Porsches out in winter. Here .they have or had reputation for loose the real wheel traction because of the engine being so far back. Electronics probably helps but it cannot make wonders.

Dont really know the brand but some have a reputation being dangerous Basically a Race car . Not for everyone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Carrera_GT

Ferraris and Lamborghinis are not unusual in my neck of the woods, living near a race track, but I saw one out today driving on heavily salted roads. I know the bodies are carbon fiber but that salt is going to find it’s way somewhere it doesn’t belong. I hate to see salt on my seventeen year old Pontiac let alone a $500k+ vehicle. I won’t ride my $500.00 motorcycle on a road in the spring until after a good rain…..
Obviously just because someone is rich it doesn't mean that they're smart.

Obviously just because someone is rich it doesn't mean that they're smart.
Actually, the smarter you are, the less likely you are to get rich. Engineers, doctors, lawyers and other smart people, educated or not, tend to overthink things rather than jumping in and taking risk, holding them back from getting rich.

Is there any evidence that modern Ferrari's et al are any less well protected against salt corrosion than main stream vehicles?
Assuming they are then why shouldn't it be driven?

Is there any evidence that modern Ferrari's et al are any less well protected against salt corrosion than main stream vehicles?
Assuming they are then why shouldn't it be driven?

Just thinking out loud here I dont know much about cars even less about sports cars of this type today
They probably have fine electronics .today

I have heard a story of one that bought a used Ferrari one at the bottom of the price curve.
They fall and then from a low they start rise again ..
The man bought one not sure about the price I Guess 20 k -- 30 k US

One day the engine " Checked out " ...At the shop there was a collision between a Piston and a valve with bad consequences
Repair dont know the sum 10 k ? 20 k ?

The owner asked the shop " What has happened what was the fault "
got the answer " No real fault these cars do that sometimes "

Another problem is power .. At wet and on ice . It is very difficult to drive with a soft gas foot.
Mandatory nowadays .. On a rear while drive you push the clutch down and try to steer
No sudden movement on the steering
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_road_training

There is also a law regarding tyres

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/road/Vehicles/winter-tyres/

I suppose some of these sports cars are mid engined . That have a reputation to loose traction on all wheels and then you are in trouble if not an expert driver

Furthermore the salt is no guarantee --- there can be icy spots
Almost every year there is a pileup People driving home from work it is raining and close to freezing at start .
But the water can under some conditions transfer to ice via the impact against the tarmac
It looks the same but it is Ice ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

There can also be chunks of ice and snow ramming the Spoilers and body parts having low clearance

Sensitive high maintenance mistresses with a fierce throttle response that raises the hair at the neck
And difficult to correct should it loose traction which it does on ice ..
Some catch fire upon crash So the safety factor and the costs.

Sports vehicles can have a setup for high rpm and that is not possible ( High rpm ) at winter climate.

So I dont believe the Ferrari factory has put much thought into corrosion .prevention.

Finally as a story
I remember reading about some enthusiast in USA Buying a Ferrari Daytona Spyder
I believe it was in California
Dont remember the exact price but say 2 000 000 US $

He wanted some refurbishment work done Ordered a container ( or so ) and airlifted the Automobile to the factory in
Italy. Having them do the job.

OK that is on the extreme end ..

Back