Sorry Yamaha but that was dumb!

72wheels%20011.JPG

72wheels%20013.JPG

For reference the various axles used on the XS650

View attachment 57150

Same problem over here in Switzerland. Did you guys somehow solved the problem or does anyone have spare ones?

I really need those dampers as quick as possible.
Regards

Every OEM damper I see is worn out. I gave the size so you can cut one out of some sheet rubber. You're in Switzerland go to a climbing shoe resole place they will give you some super strong rubber scraps. Heck a piece of scrap radiator hose would work fine.

Resurrecting this old thread. . . . .

I finally got a free weekend to test ride my recent 5k mile 1972 XS2 purchase. It's still not registered, so I put it in my van and hauled it to my preferred locatoin for testing bikes that aren't legal - - - a giant tech campus parking lot that's empty on weekends.

The bike seems to run and shift fine, but I immediately noticed some clunking from the front end.

When I got home I found this thread. I'm guessing the rubber pieces that act to shim the disk carrier to the hub (#36 in the pic below, PN 306-25837-01-00) are missing or mushed on my bike too.

Has anyone found a substitute for the rubber pucks? The last post in this thread is from 9 years ago and I'm hoping somebody has come up with a robust solution since then.

I'd like to keep my bike stock and not mess around with swapping fork sliders, calipers, disk carriers, wheels, etc. But if I went that route, what's the least complicated parts swap that will work?

1666570849957.png

Yamaha had an alternative to the pucks. Using a rubber ring.

Drawing #3;........ Part #3 replaces part #7

Tech 12- XS2 Disk Bracket bearing spacer..jpg
to the pucks. Using a rubber ring.

Some dimensions from a used rubber pad.

Attachments

• 72wheels 011.JPG
    72wheels 011.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 72wheels 013.JPG
    72wheels 013.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 57
Yamaha had an alternative to the pucks. Using a rubber ring.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how the new o-ring replaces the old damper rubbers? Although I haven't taken my front wheel off to see how it engages with the disk carrier.

Also, looking at the on-line parts fiche, most of the parts in this retrofit kit are NLA.

1666582481860.png

Last edited:
The retro fit kit is just a replacement kit of the existing parts 1-6 and utilizing part 3, (oring), instead of part #7. Buy or don't buy the $5 NOS o'ring i linked to or not. The other parts in the Retro kit may be found by doing a search with their part #'s or your 40 year old ones may be perfect so no need to look.

I'm confused as to what that issue that service bulletin is intended to fix? The title reads "disk bracket bearing spacer, dimensional change" so it doesn't seem directed to the old rubber pieces that are the focus of this thread. But at the same time, it recommends eliminating those pieces and installing a different o-ring. And I don't understand how the new o-ring could obviate the need for the old rubber pieces?

I've wondered the same @patentgeek Haven't found one of these kits installed (yet) but was thinking the spacer between the bearings is a different length? If not why ruin two bearings to remove the old one?
There's two 72's here that I haven't opened.
@jpdevol when you get in here,
and @GLJ you're the 72 expert
@Mailman You got anything?

Back