Source for rubber instrument isolators/dampeners? (1980 Special)

Vincenthdfan

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Both of my "Survivor" 1980 Specials have worn down rubber isolator/dampeners for the speedometer and tachometer housings.

Both bikes only have around 7,000 miles on them, yet age has taken a toll on the rubber and caused them to flatten and splay out considerably.

Does anyone know of a source than can provide decent replacements for these?

I havent found them on the usual sites (Mikes XS, etc).

Thanks

I think I need the larger instrument ring rubber more than the smaller grommets beneath after looking a little closer.

I see Rocky Mountain ATV says they're available (genuine Yamaha), but they're spendy little suckers.

Just to add. Today I fitted (1977) speedometer and tacho back into their cups after cleaning. The rubbers under the bezel fell apart. Not wanting to spend money buying rubber parts of dubious quality I used 89mm diameter x 6mm Cross section O rings instead. The clocks fit really nicely into the cups. Only on a close up inspection would anyone see the rubbers are O rings. £4 for 5 delivered to my door.

Just to add. Today I fitted (1977) speedometer and tacho back into their cups after cleaning. The rubbers under the bezel fell apart. Not wanting to spend money buying rubber parts of dubious quality I used 89mm diameter x 6mm Cross section O rings instead. The clocks fit really nicely into the cups. Only on a close up inspection would anyone see the rubbers are O rings. £4 for 5 delivered to my door.
Nice. Can you post pics?

Nice. Can you post pics?
Here we go. The clock body measures 90mm, hence my buying 89mm to fit snug on the clocks body. The cup measures 100mm diameter and you can see the 6mm O ring overhangs the cup slightly. That's what I wanted to achieve. It might be that 1/4" rather than 6mm would give a good result too. 1/4" is 6.35mm so a bit thicker than I used. Imperial size might be more widely available on the far side of the Atlantic. Hope that helps.

1000001123.jpg

1000001124.jpg

Back