Source for Swing arm through Bolt.

albeix

XS650 Member
Reaction score
When I removed the swing arm to replace the worn out bushings with Needle bearings (more on that in a minute) I discovered that the bolt had at some time in the past snapped at the top of the threads and been rewelded back on. Not something I would want to be riding on. Been trying to find a source for said bolt without any luck.

Anyone know if a reliable source for this bolt, or an alternate that works and is available??

As for the All Balls needle bearing swing arm kit I cannot recommend this kit. I installed the two bearings one side and then tried the bolt in them to check their fit. They are at least as sloppy as the old plastic bushings I removed and possible worse. Hence I will be going with Bronze bushings but need a new bolt.

All input gratefully received.

When I removed the swing arm to replace the worn out bushings with Needle bearings (more on that in a minute) I discovered that the bolt had at some time in the past snapped at the top of the threads and been rewelded back on. Not something I would want to be riding on. Been trying to find a source for said bolt without any luck.

Anyone know if a reliable source for this bolt, or an alternate that works and is available??

As for the All Balls needle bearing swing arm kit I cannot recommend this kit. I installed the two bearings one side and then tried the bolt in them to check their fit. They are at least as sloppy as the old plastic bushings I removed and possible worse. Hence I will be going with Bronze bushings but need a new bolt.

All input gratefully received.

Yup. I put the roller bearings in my swingarm and the rear end suddenly seemed very vague in the handling department. It was too bad, since I spent a rather tempestuous few hours pulling out perfectly good stock plastic bushings to install them.

Yup. I put the roller bearings in my swingarm and the rear end suddenly seemed very vague in the handling department. It was too bad, since I spent a rather tempestuous few hours pulling out perfectly good stock plastic bushings to install them.

A pivot that only rotates about 10-15° is not really an ideal application for needle bearings.... unless of course you're a 2stroke piston with the high rpm reciprocation component thrown into the mix. But a swingarm? Not really.

From a engineering standpoint something like.... oh I dunno... a brass bushing would be more suitable. :sneaky:

:twocents:

A pivot that only rotates about 10-15° is not really an ideal application for needle bearings.... unless of course you're a 2stroke piston with the high rpm reciprocation component thrown into the mix. But a swingarm? Not really.

From a engineering standpoint something like.... oh I dunno... a brass bushing would be more suitable. :sneaky:

:twocents:
To bad you weren't a consultant for BMW and their para-lever swing arm design.

waiting+for+bearings1162601606.jpg

1652497054143.png

Can't tell what I'm lookin' at in the top pic.
Bottom looks like a U-joint. Standard fare for needles. :shrug:

A small-ish tapered roller pivots through a mix of 7.5 degrees and carries the most of the rear load.

Brinelling city. They've been using the same bearing for about 2 decades now. Prices have recently doubled from the previous nose bleed $$.
I suspect my Gs is showing signs it's time.

Every bike I've had with rollers in the swing arm has been trouble.
GS750, GS1000, Z250.
The slightest bit of moisture past the seals and rust kills them in no time.
They seem determined to rust out even when greased regular.
You can't beat bronze bushes IMHO, although there's probably some room for debate about which materials are best.
How about Oilite bushes and a stainless inner sleeve ?

A small-ish tapered roller pivots through a mix of 7.5 degrees and carries the most of the rear load.

Brinelling city. They've been using the same bearing for about 2 decades now. Prices have recently doubled from the previous nose bleed $$.
I suspect my Gs is showing signs it's time.
You've got a lathe. Make some bronze bushes for yours? Oilite maybe...

Regarding the original thread subject, didn't someone recommend the swing arm bolt from a Suzuki GS 750/1000/1100?
(750/1100 from 80 onwards were named GSX in Europe)

Regarding the original thread subject, didn't someone recommend the swing arm bolt from a Suzuki GS 750/1000/1100?
(750/1100 from 80 onwards were named GSX in Europe)
Yes, there is a solid Suzuki swingarm bolt that swaps right in. No zerk fittings on the ends, so you add a zerk fitting to the frame. I did this mod a long time ago, don't remember the part number. And, I don't really think it's a necessary mod unless you are racing or doing jumps(!).
Anyways I wrote about this a little bit a long time ago here:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/swingarm-pivot-bolt-upgrade-16m.55677/#post-610340
posts # 12 and # 24. With a little digging, you could probably find or figure out the part number. BTW, when I did it, I took the part number to a dealer, and they ordered it for me OEM brand-new. That was a long time ago, before I got savvy to ordering my parts myself on-line.

Back