South West USA Camping are any campgrounds available

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Allison and I really want to road trip in the van, late March early April. But campground availability is looking extra sketchy this year, anyone from the southwest got comments? Thinking Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. We're into parks, historic sites, and remote hiking type activity, not much on urban, cities. Thanks for any input.

I took a quick look at the websites for Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park, and both appear to be open. The whole Big Bend area is super-beautiful.

The National Park is a lot like Yosemite or Yellowstone -- you could easily spend a month or a lifetime there. Pro tip -- go to the hot springs at night when the sky is clear and the moon is minimal, and star-gaze while soaking.

The State Park is an actual working ranch with cattle and sheep. Which makes it super unique. The rangers are actual vaqueros. The "Big House" is kind of like Riata in the movie "Giant." You can stay in the Big House, and it's kind of like a B&B, but better, super cool and rustic. Gives you a real feel for what it must have been like to be a big ranch owner back in the day.

spent an hour last night trying to get a campsite in big bend np no joy, bummer kinda why i'm asking.

Times have changed gggGary, Online reservations instead of first come like in the past has lead to very difficult "avaliable" camp ground sites. See to reserve a site way in advance and later simply decide to not show up, does not free up the site for others and the penalty of not showing up is pennies compared to the "well equipped" camp pusses of modern times. So there is little deterent to over book.
And then there are the crowds in the National Parks to be in line with as well
:cussing:
I stay as hidden as possible in the Pacific Northwest . :wink2:
20200816_120847.jpg

Attachments

• 20180714_203529_IMG_0109.JPG
    20180714_203529_IMG_0109.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200816_120433.jpg
    20200816_120433.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200809_131408.jpg
    20200809_131408.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 149
Yes we did well around the upper midwest last year, but even that was a bit of a run n jump on an opening thing. With spring break and no crowded resorts thing on. The campgrounds are even more stressed. New Mexico state campgrounds are closed. There's always forest service CG's with just the van we ain't that fussy spent a fair number of nights in rest stops while on the road.

What about private campgrounds?

"Undesignated" areas ;)...

You rang?

gggGary, you and Allison are welcome to camp out here at the World Famous:

Litterbox Ranch
GryBr-AV.jpg

Genuinely rustic and primitive.

Recently excavated RV hookup provides elecktrick and wasser.
2M-Ranch01.jpg

Explore the walking and stumbling trails.
Discover and collect gen-u-wine aboriginal flint artifacts.
2M-Ranch03.jpg

Roll around in and enjoy the cornucopia of cactus.
PricklyPearHarvestAttire02.jpg

Meet the neighbors.
LawnMowers.jpg 2019-08-23-VelvetBuck.jpg

Or, collect some as souvenirs.
Armadillo.jpg Coon2.jpg

Birdwatching?
We have all sorts of exotic birds.
Buzzards.jpg

Did I mention primitive?
20210302_Rustic.jpg

spent an hour last night trying to get a campsite in big bend np no joy, bummer kinda why i'm asking.
Big Bend National Park has NEVER taken phone reservations. You enter the park and go to the Panther Junction ranger station and reserve sites there. I'm talking what I call "car camping" sites: little cleared areas on dirt roads where you park and set up. Zero amenities. There are lots of them, they are secluded, and you can usually get the sites you want. Once there, you can reserve many days worth of sites, staying put, or moving around from site to site. Or, you can Gringo-out in the Chisos Mountains (a mountain right in the center of the park). Again, you have to go to the Chisos in person, but here you will rent a cabin, and they also have meals available. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's fine if a bit touristy. Wherever you stay, hiking up the Chisos to Emory peak is strenuous, but sort of a "must-do." Finally, there are two RV sites with hook-ups. Not sure how they work, but I am sure you have to book them in person.
Don't let the no pre-reservations thing dissuade you. Unless you go during spring break, there are always tons of available spaces. I once made the mistake of going during spring break, so I just got backpacker back country permits for the first couple of days. With one of them, you can park anywhere within the zone you claim that you will be backpacking in. However, with COVID, I don't think Spring Break is going to be an issue.

As for Big Bend Ranch State Park, they do take phone reservations, and I highly recommend the rustic luxury of staying a couple of nights at Saucedo, AKA the Big House. It's fairly popular, so make a reservation. The Ranch also has a "bunkhouse" where you can stay, and no-amenity car camping sites like in the National Park.

I also highly recommend the World Famous Litterbox Ranch.

Big Bend National Park has NEVER taken phone reservations. You enter the park and go to the Panther Junction ranger station and reserve sites there. I'm talking what I call "car camping" sites: little cleared areas on dirt roads where you park and set up. Zero amenities. There are lots of them, they are secluded, and you can usually get the sites you want. Once there, you can reserve many days worth of sites, staying put, or moving around from site to site. Or, you can Gringo-out in the Chisos Mountains (a mountain right in the center of the park). Again, you have to go to the Chisos in person, but here you will rent a cabin, and they also have meals available. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's fine if a bit touristy. Wherever you stay, hiking up the Chisos to Emory peak is strenuous, but sort of a "must-do." Finally, there are two RV sites with hook-ups. Not sure how they work, but I am sure you have to book them in person.
Don't let the no pre-reservations thing dissuade you. Unless you go during spring break, there are always tons of available spaces. I once made the mistake of going during spring break, so I just got backpacker back country permits for the first couple of days. With one of them, you can park anywhere within the zone you claim that you will be backpacking in. However, with COVID, I don't think Spring Break is going to be an issue.

As for Big Bend Ranch State Park, they do take phone reservations, and I highly recommend the rustic luxury of staying a couple of nights at Saucedo, AKA the Big House. It's fairly popular, so make a reservation. The Ranch also has a "bunkhouse" where you can stay, and no-amenity car camping sites like in the National Park.

I also highly recommend the World Famous Litterbox Ranch.
Big Bent NP swears it's now reservation only but there are none, shrug.
So after more website bingo what you say appears to be the situation and camping in the van at least some of these sites a viable choice. Thank you @DogBunny
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/big-bend-covid-19-status-updates.htm
I'm good at brushing cats...

Last edited:
The Guadalupe Mountains in far west Texas is also a cool area to explore.

I didn't think about it until 2M mentioned it but you are more than welcome to come hang out at Eaglesnest. . I have a spot down the hill that you can park for as long as you like.

The governor has just lifted most of the covid restrictions in Texas so the private campgrounds (and everything else) should be open to full capacity.

How far west? Slab City can't be beat. Don't limit yourself to the tourist attractions. More southerly, nice but expensive campground near Hot Springs, AR. Still more southerly, cheap (but very strict lol) campground near Smithville,Texas but a wonderful playhouse in the town, since it's Hollywood south. Actually, ready-built location used often to depict a small town by real Hollywood. I figure the local interest in theatrics is to hopefully land you a gig in movies. Saw there a local re-write of Frankenstein that I can't remember a thing about except that it was re-written for modern times and was very good.

Last edited:
The Corp of Engineers have nice camping and lots of it at Canyon Lake. Near one of my favorite places Gruen Tx home of Gruen Hall. Used to be a sleepy little place that has been "discovered" but I know a place trying to fall into the river that has great Tex Mex food.

You guys are great, we like quirky little places that the world hasn't beaten to death.
Starting to look like Texas needs more exploring.
Allison sez tubing at New Braunfels.
A stop at Palo Duro State park.
We have never been to the Alamo (it's been open all along) and seems like a bucket list item.
Fort Davis worth a repeat
Guadaloupe ditto
Big bent "
Saucedo, AKA the Big House
Cat litter ranch ;^)
Canyon Lake
Gruen Tx home of Gruen Hall.
We like Hueco Tanks SP out by El Paso.

If you go to the Alamo, then it is worth the short little walk to experience the Riverwalk area there in San Antonio. It's kinda touristy, but really just a few minutes walk from the Alamo. I've been there a few times. Historically its pretty neat. Good enough to stop by for an afternoon on your way through town.

Cranes Mill Park on south side of Lake.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234726

San Antonio , the Alamo and the River Walk are pretty close in Texas terms to here

River Road from near the dam to Gruen and New Braunsfels is my favorite road in Texas.

You want to tube the Guadalupe River not the Comal. Comal is way to crowded.

New Braunsfels is the fastest growing area of the state and the traffic is horrendous

Back