Spark plugs

No. Early manuals recommend the B8ES only because protruded tip plugs had not hit the market. The protruded tip design puts the electrode farther into the fuel stream, resulting in better cooling and extending the effective heat range of the plug. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself and read the ground clip.

I've been using the NGK Iridium Spark Plug BPR-7EIX and they seem to foul out quick. And I have to get them from a bike shop or on line at $12 a pop. I picked up a set of Champion Power Sport 8902-1 at Walmart for $3 each. They look the same, they have the same type tips and they are also Iridium plugs. I put them in yesterday and the bike ran great with them.

I've been using the NGK Iridium Spark Plug BPR-7EIX and they seem to foul out quick. And I have to get them from a bike shop or on line at $12 a pop. I picked up a set of Champion Power Sport 8902-1 at Walmart for $3 each. They look the same, they have the same type tips and they are also Iridium plugs. I put them in yesterday and the bike ran great with them.

yes! I was just gonna make a similar comment. Why is that? are they too hot? Mine foul quite quickly, granted the bike starts quicker than regualr bp7es. But the b7es have lasted longer

Fouling isn't a symptom of a hot plug, and I can tell you from experience that if your jetting and ignition are halfway decent and you get off the choke when you should, you won't be fouling the BPR-7EIX. I know nothing about the heat range or other characteristics of the Champion plug.

I was skeptical of iridium plugs in older bikes for years until Michael Morse got me to try a pair. The result was faster warmup, more stable idle, and a seat-of-the-pants power gain. I haven't looked back.

Fouling isn't a symptom of a hot plug, and I can tell you from experience that if your jetting and ignition are halfway decent and you get off the choke when you should, you won't be fouling the BPR-7EIX. I know nothing about the heat range or other characteristics of the Champion plug.

I was skeptical of iridium plugs in older bikes for years until Michael Morse got me to try a pair. The result was faster warmup, more stable idle, and a seat-of-the-pants power gain. I haven't looked back.

well it's good to know that, I know I'm not running it at it's best right now. Still gotta tinker around with proper jetting. Thanks for clearing that up

My standard set up has been fouling every month or so using NGK DP7ES. I haven't tried altering anything in the carb yet. Both plugs do it and they are fine for a while after cleaning. So I have been following this thread and interested in the results.

You most likely have a carb or ignition problem, maybe some of both. I've been using the standard BP7ES plugs in mine for 10 years now, never fouled one. I do change them out frequently, about every 4K miles at most. I find these bikes are rather tough on plugs, wearing them rather quickly. The Pamco and stronger coil have helped some. When I had points, the plugs wore even quicker.

I run autolite 62 in mine. Ebay has those. Parts stores carry 63 which is hotter than 62. 63 is a tad hotter than ngk bpr7es. But yes...long choke and no riding will dirty them. And improper jetting. Never had any plug that's close in heat range foul with proper jetting and riding to clean them off.

Had a barn find XS650 that would oil foul a BP7ES on one side, switched that side to a hotter BP6ES, that did not foul, ran it hard for while (1,000 miles?) and switched that plug back to a BP7ES, It then ran fine 'til "unrelated" engine problems killed it a couple of thousand miles later. YPMMV

Back