Speedo install

JosephP87

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I’m to the point of being almost done with the wiring. I’m finishing up the wiring in the headlight bucket and the only thing left is my speedo that I bought from Amazon. I have it all working other than the backlight and the neutral indicator light. I will attach a picture to this thread so you know what I am talking about. I have the green wire conmected to the light blue wire for neutral but I need to have a neutral ground. If looked everywhere online but can seem to find the answer. Where do I hook the neutral ground to? Also I need to know what wire is hot only when the ignition is in the on position. I connected the red wire for the backlight to the red wire on the ignition switch but the lights are always on. Is there a wire that is hot only when the key is in the on position?

Attachments

• 51DFCFF7-5179-47D8-B625-0B03CEF3CC99.png
    51DFCFF7-5179-47D8-B625-0B03CEF3CC99.png
    535.8 KB · Views: 259
Red is hot from the battery (fused with 20A) to the ignition switch.
Brown is hot from the ignition switch.
Brown goes to the neutral light for power.
Light blue goes to the ground side of the light. Ground being provided by the neutral switch on the engine.

EDIT if the indicators are LED: black #2 should go to the neutral light blue, the green should be tied to the ignition on hot.
The light blue wire IS the neutral ground. (through the neutral switch on the crankcase behind the cylinders).
Guess I would check and see if supplying +12 to the wire labeled #2 black neutral negative will light the neutral light.

Last edited:
Ohm out the three black grounds and make sure there's no continuity between them . If they're tied together internally, you're screwed.

1646190761041.png

sounds like they are all separate, each indicator bulb has it's own hot and ground.
I asked about LED cuz they are often polarity sensitive, will not light if black and green are hooked "backwards".

View attachment 208828
sounds like they are all separate, each indicator bulb has it's own hot and ground.
I asked about LED cuz they are often polarity sensitive, will not light if black and green are hooked "backwards".

Sounded to me like a Chines way of saying compare the 2 yellows to black to see which is left and which is right.

Three blacks, prolly not ID'd for which circuit.
one for neutral grounded through switch
one for back light(s)
one for both turn signal lights

I know which one is the ground for the neutral on the new speedo. I just don’t know where that ground should go. Should the green wire from the speedo go to the blue wire from the neutral switch? Or does the black go it?

I was wondering which wire is hot on the on position from the switch so I could hook the red wire for backlight from the speedo to it so it will illuminate.

Progress pics first is what it looked like when I got it. Didn’t run was going to be scrapped so I got it for $200. Now it runs great and just updating the appearance now. Second pic is how it sits now

Attachments

• D69341FE-5B6C-47AE-B9B4-178BA991319E.jpeg
    D69341FE-5B6C-47AE-B9B4-178BA991319E.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 925DC140-C02B-47B1-BFB9-69FB957433D1.jpeg
    925DC140-C02B-47B1-BFB9-69FB957433D1.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 117
I know which one is the ground for the neutral on the new speedo. I just don’t know where that ground should go. Should the green wire from the speedo go to the blue wire from the neutral switch? Or does the black go it?

I was wondering which wire is hot on the on position from the switch so I could hook the red wire for backlight from the speedo to it so it will illuminate.
'K... I'm out...

The first time you posted the pic it was blurry. Got the hot and green wire now. Thanks.
I’m still unsure about the ground neutral wire from the speedo. I just hooked it to a wire and grounded it to the motor but it didn’t work. Is there a specific wire for the neutral ground?

`Do you have the three blacks sorted?
Black will always go to ground, so:
Attach neutral green to a known hot (plus 12 volts) then try one black at a time to ground, til the neutral bulb lights. That black will attach to your light blue neutral switch wire. If grounding to engine doesn't light it, try to the battery - terminal. if that DOES light it then you do not have a ground path from engine to battery and or headlight - this is not rare. Ground wiring issues are pretty common.

Attach neutral green to a known hot (plus 12 volts) then try one black at a time to ground, til the neutral bulb lights. That black will attach to your light blue neutral switch wire. If grounding to engine doesn't light it, try to the battery - terminal. if that DOES light it then you do not have a ground path from engine to battery and or headlight - this is not rare. Ground wiring issues are pretty common.
If NONE of that lights the bulb try green to ground and the one black at a time to hot.
Something may have gotten lost in the chingish translation RE polarity of that Neutral indicator LED.

Use your battery. Touch the green to hot and each black to ground (negative) in turn. If the neutral doesn't light, do as Gary sez... touch the green to ground and each black to the pos terminal in turn.
What I'm getting at here is get rid of all the mental clutter and just use the battery terminals. No chance of confusing wires or whatever that way.
Let us know what you get.

I do have all thre blacks sorted. Since I know what black wire is ground for the neutral switch connect that black to the light blue wire? But than where does the green connect?

Back