SR500 engine noise

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1978 SR500 Yamaha with 9800 miles that I am working on. I got it running after sitting since 2012. It runs good except for a tinging noise that sounds like it could be top end somewhere. I set valves and timing chain but made no difference. I have listened to a couple different ones online and a couple of them had the same tinging noise mine has others didn't. So, is this a common issue and what is it? I did take it to a bike shop and when they have time they will investigate, but If I could give them any help, I would like that. I have a 562 Velorex sidecar I really would like to hook it to this winter. Thanks JohnB

Yes impossible to guess.
If it was me I would go for the CSF rule Cheapest Simplest First
What I have heard it would be difficult to trash that type motor after only 10 k miles
Provided the lubrication is OK Pump and Oil the right amount and Pumped.
Usually I go for the Ignition since it is the most common here for me .But in this case Carburetor is a Candidate
I Would still ensure that the spark is right and at the right time before anything else. .

Things can change after a Heat cycle or two But as said Impossible ..
Listening with a steel rod or Screwdriver held against the engine helps localize.

First check if the engine is pinging on acceleration as they are somewhat detonation prone.
Second check if the cam chain tensioner is correctly adjusted.
Third check if you have wear on the rocker axles.

Kind regards christian

First check if the engine is pinging on acceleration as they are somewhat detonation prone.
Second check if the cam chain tensioner is correctly adjusted.
Third check if you have wear on the rocker axles.

Kind regards christian
Thanks, or the input I have gotten busy, so I just loaded it up and took it to a bike shop to get it checked out. The noise was present at an idle and was a definite ting ting sound. I have watched a few YouTube vids and have heard the same sound on a couple bikes. I will let everyone know what I find out. JohnB

Back