STANDARD issue…. a resurrection begins….

I’m long overdue for an update on this build. Life has a funny way of getting in the way of things. Today I took advantage of family being over for Father’s Day and got my brother to help me set the motor in the frame. I took it out by myself but knew better than to try and wrestle it back in. I have a tall workbench and things could have gone bad quick. Anyway, 5 minutes later and we had it sitting in the frame. Makes the project feel so much more complete seeing it in, even though I’m still a long ways away. Everything is just loosely mocked up for now. I mocked up the exhaust, and I gotta say I really like it. I tried it on with two sets of tins to see what I like best. The jury is still out in that department.

2E122648-6BDF-473F-A059-DB23DF5F3A6D.jpegC0503601-AAB9-44DD-B600-8351A0B5BDE7.jpeg573FDB19-343B-4547-81E0-7674D08D9C0E.jpeg0608DCB5-DC19-47BD-991B-14464AFF849C.jpeg

I’m still slowly collecting parts too. I recently got a one piece braided front brake line, just need to get pads and the front brake will be done. Wiring is also on the horizon. That will be a big hurdle for me.

Also, in a recent turn of events, we welcomed a new member to our family yesterday. We had to put our beloved bulldog Oscar down about 15 months ago and I finally caved in to the family to allow another pet. Mostly because our favorite cat mysteriously disappeared a few weeks ago. I fear the coyotes got ahold of Jeff. Anyway, meet Mabel, our precious 15 month old English Bulldog. Such a sweetheart.
4589AB25-6FD8-4931-BA1E-38EF24860D25.jpeg

I’ve got a set of knobbies ready to go on soon too. But I’ve been contemplating on painting the original wheels that came off this bike gold. I don’t know why but I really like the look of gold wheels. That may be an alternate side project down the road though. More mission creep I guess.

LOL.. It's the same Texavina seat off my '75, i'm just a part swapper. The '75 is still out in storage and I had pulled the seat off to prevent the chance of any rodents finding it tasty. I still have the original seat from my 75 as well as the one I recovered from this '77, but I like the trimmed down low profile of the Texavina seat. I've also been eyeballing those Motolanna seats too, but I am hesitant to cut the factory mounts off this frame in order to mount it.

I’ve been collecting parts lately gearing up to get more assembly done. I picked up some Duro HF307 tires about a month ago, but finally got around to installing them yesterday. I’m not a fan of changing tires, but that’s likely because I don’t have much experience doing it. This time round I didn’t pinch any tubes either!!
F43C8E2D-EC60-4382-98E0-6A628320FE7E.jpeg904D073B-AA34-4A03-B7AA-BD139FA908D8.jpeg
Also picked up a new set of sprockets, 17f and 33r, and also a new EK 530 o-ring chain. I hit a little snag mounting the rear sprocket. Was tightening bolts with a box wrench when I felt one of them give way. Was worried I pulled the threads, but quickly realized the bolt snapped. I got lucky and was able to back it out with a small punch and hammer.
F78FE3FF-41A6-4DFF-A7CF-90E253B9FD31.jpeg
I still need to button up the front end too. I just need to install the new pads, clean up the rotor and then I can fill and bleed.

Last edited:
A quick question about resistor plugs. I’ve done some research but am a little confused. I bought several BPR7ES plugs since the non-resistors are not available. I also got a set of NGK caps, but the package says they are resistor type LB05F. The guy at the shop just told me to unscrew the resistor caps from the plugs, but that doesn’t seem right. Can anyone confirm if these two will be compatible together?

The guy at the shop just told me to unscrew the resistor caps from the plugs, but that doesn’t seem right.
I'm not aware of any plugs or caps where you can just remove the resistor. Never heard of such.
No, you can't run the 5k caps and the resistor plugs together. One or the other, not both.

It's odd for a sprocket bolt to snap off like that because they're not torqued that tight (22 ft/lbs). Maybe it was cracked already? Do liberally anti-seize the sprocket bolts because they can seize up in the hub over time. Then you would be snapping them off, lol.

but quickly realized the bolt snapped. I got lucky and was able to back it out with a small punch and hammer.
Given the importance of those bolts, I think I'd replace all of 'em. If one was overstressed at some point in it's life... enough to shear... odds are all of 'em were overstressed.

I just realized you found a nice little tail light for your bike too. I like it. I’ve always done factory type restorations but if I were ever to build a modified bike, that big honkin factory tail light would be the first thing to go! 😄

Back