STANDARD issue…. a resurrection begins….

I’m already using all those things to organize. My biggest problem is that I started rebuilding my workbench this summer and never finished, so now I just have tools, parts, and general garage stuff stacked everywhere. I’ve got a 10’ long solid door I’ll be using for the bench, but it needs cut down. It will run the entire length on the wall up to the service door. I plan to put my bottom toolbox on a small riser instead of casters and tuck it under the workbench. The rest of the under counter I can use to stack totes of parts.

Tonight it hit the wall… my workshop is in total disarray and I am tripping over stuff every time I’m out there. I now have parts from this bike strewn across two areas and my organization is starting to fall wayward and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. The bike is stripped down to just frame, motor, carbs, forks, wiring and front wheel. With colder weather coming soon, I need to get a grip on this mess. Right now I don’t even have access to a workbench, so this weekend a new one will be built so I can start getting things properly put away. This will also enable me to start parking my truck in the garage. Something I have never done in the two and a half years that we have lived here.

This week I have been trying to finish up painting things that I can with enamel spray cans. We are still in the 70s here but forecast is calling to start dropping to 50-60’s soon. Once I get the workshop put in order, I will start dragging out stashed parts and get everything lined up that will be going on this bike. I’m still not 100% what I’m doing with it but I’ve got a few options.

On a side note, we had very heavy fog here this morning. Just a mile from my house a fellow biker was killed around 5am. Some jackass tried to pass a semi on the two lane state highway in the fog. As soon as he pulled out of his lane to pass he hit the biker head on. Killed instantly. Drugs/alcohol are suspected by the jackass SUV driver. So be careful out there guys!!! Idiots are among us.

Sad news of the fellow biker.

Step one complete. It’s not how I want it, but it’s a major step in getting there. My previous workbench was on casters. It was nice so that I could roll it out to the driveway to work on projects, but I hated that it would roll when I didn’t want it to. I cut about 15” off the 10’ solid door and got it secured to the legs and wall. It’s a full 30” deep too. It’s a little taller than before, but I like a taller work top and this also allows for more storage underneath. In fact, I can still push my rolling workbench under it as an L at the end. Like I said, it’s not how I really wanted it but it is very workable. I also took my casters off my bottom box and have it sitting directly underneath. Again, not as I envisioned it, but with securing the support legs to studs forced me to move it to the center. I can still tuck a barstool under it if I want too. I definitely need to reorganize, I just ran out of time tonight before my daughters volleyball tournament.
237E1E95-EB45-4D9E-9EF9-4701C932B0B7.jpeg

We are getting there. I honestly couldn’t walk through there before without stepping on something or taking a handlebar to the ribs. It feels good, but I can do better. A few more shelves and some fine tuning and will be set. Now I just need to clean out the other half of the garage so I can park inside before the snow flies.

Back to business today. The front end is off. Going to install some tapered bearings, which I still need to order. But I got the trees off and broke down, scrubbed, and painted along with the risers too. Last week I broke down and ordered some new handlebars, my first purchase on this project so far. The cb750 bars I had on are nice, but just not quite the right bend for me. I like the No.10 tracker bend bars on my 75, so I got another set for the 77. While I was waiting for the paint to dry I worked on the bars. These bars run about 34” wide, which is a bit much. So I trimmed off 1.5” from each end. Then I proceeded to drill the bars to run the wiring internally. I do this on all my bikes. It just tidies everything up for a much cleaner look. Also got the clutch perch mounted, wires pulled, and controls all mounted. A big thanks to Jim for hooking me up with the clutch perch too! All I need to finish up the bars is a master and brake lines. Will get to that in good time though.
853DCA1C-BFB7-47A0-B2BD-CDD26CCD1CD0.jpegBE77983F-6116-4489-B56C-01FE8F16A5AE.jpeg6E3F9FDA-E5ED-4F01-98DA-16147717F2AC.jpeg497F1A94-B239-4AA0-9DCB-3DCC8003EA95.jpeg

Attachments

• 29BF4351-269E-4AD3-8DC7-9BFEAE588E2D.jpeg
    29BF4351-269E-4AD3-8DC7-9BFEAE588E2D.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 118
Stripped her the rest of the way down tonight. My goal is to finish cleaning up the frame and addressing the remaining surface rust. Surprisingly for having sat so long, most fasteners are coming apart without too much fuss. Got the motor on the stand and strapped to my lift. It’s pretty nasty under the alternator cover, but a quick peek under the tapper covers and it looks pretty clean. I didn’t see any rust in there, but we will see down the road when I get to opening it all up. It turns over pretty well too. I was able to do a little side job yesterday to bring in a little spending cash. Hoping to put my first parts order in this week. I’ll keep plugging away as time permits.
0BEE911B-2F33-4F0A-81FB-762114B9378F.jpeg 34901C5C-1589-4830-88F1-E4043A5F4423.jpeg

Also peeked inside the carbs tonight to see what I’m up against there. None of the screw heads were boogered up and all came out pretty easily (thanks to the JIS screwdrivers). They are all complete but pretty gummy. Wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner. Not sure how I’ll address them just yet. Diaphragms looked good, just a little dry.
39616E24-F16B-41ED-80A8-CACE194BC640.jpeg 18C6C286-068F-412C-9EBE-47F7C3335930.jpeg A8EF4AD1-CBFC-4AA8-B0D7-DB2D3499CC65.jpeg

Just another day forking around in the shop. After spending the day yesterday servicing/repairing the mower, and mounting up the snowblower getting prepared for winter, we got our first snowfall of the season today. Just enough to realize the riding season is officially over here. So today I installed the All Balls tapered steering bearing. Pretty straight forward and went together as well as I could hope.
8DF208AF-BA23-4224-A1D7-81DE2F665C76.jpeg
Next I turned my attention to tearing down the forks. I’ve got new seals to install and need to strip the clear coat off the legs. The legs came apart as well as I could hope for. I used my cutdown 10mm socket tool for my 34mm forks to successfully hold the fork internals while I zipped out the Allen bolts from the lowers. At first the oil looked brand new, until I pumped the forks a few times and the sludge started to roll out. Obvious it had been sitting a while.
F9346E41-AD11-4FE2-9795-E936C2F5A7E8.jpeg
Hardware cleaned up pretty decent with a steel wheel in the drill press. Not perfect but a lot better.
61C10A7C-3020-4AD2-B984-6C4B1F79F193.jpeg 72B3454C-D8C3-4AC7-A03C-297D8913D0A6.jpeg
The fork tubes and all parts look to be in great condition. I still need to clean out the lowers before I address the seals and cleaning up the external of the lowers. That will be my next task, along with putting this bike back to a roller.

Hardest part was just driving the bearing down on the stem. I cobbled together a slide hammer of sorts that kind of worked, but really what worked best getting it down those last few mm was to use the old race turned upside down. It allowed me to hammer it down with a piece of pipe I had slipped over the stem. I used a piece of PVC i had laying around to drive the races in. I was lucky and was really a pretty simple process.

No progress in work this week, but a major hurtle was cleared today. I finally received my clear title in the mail from the BMV today. A major load off my mind and confirms my plans for finishing up this build. Had I not gotten the title it would have been added to my growing parts stash. I am off work all next week, so hope to make some significant progress. So long as life doesn’t make other plans for me in the meantime anyway.

Made progress today cleaning up the forks. I made a trip to harbor freight today to pick up a Nyalox wheel to cut through the clear coat on the fork legs. It did a great job but would get a little gummed up before I got done. I just hit them with some 320 grit to clean up those areas and followed up with the Nyalox wheel in my drill press.
15916F66-B1AC-4A59-AC55-8FEF7527F33F.jpeg 1AE429B6-1389-4D93-9753-9D5170914624.jpeg
Next up, time to replace the fork seals. Gary’s tip of mounting a tire spoon in the vice with a small piece of aluminum to guard the top of the slider made quick work of removal. Cleaned out the sludge in side, and ready to put the seals back in.
image.jpg
91C9A442-8BE7-49D8-82FE-5DE75F15C645.jpeg
Uh-oh. My new seals don’t fit. WTF??? After several minutes of scratching my head, I went back to double check my order. Receipt shows I ordered correct, but was shipped the wrong seals. My 77 should take 35mm x 48 x 11mm seals. But I received 35mm x 47 x 10.5mm seals. Theres no fudging that extra mmm. Dammit. Vendor is reputable and not going to throw him under the bus. I’m sure was a simple oversight, but for just $10 I’ll just order new ones. There goes my hopes of a rolling chassis this weekend. I guess I’ll just focus my attention on other projects.

Well, that's a bummer, but now you have plenty of time to polish up those lower legs, lol. If you examine them closely, you'll see lots of casting lines and "ridges". Yamaha halfheartedly tried to smooth some of them out .....

fVMmZWO.jpg

tWoe4NR.jpg

ZOTWErY.jpg

..... on others they did nothing .....

t1BO3R3.jpg

But, using medium (maroon) and fine (blue) Roloc discs in a die grinder, you can fix this .....

QQyfxdd.jpg

rKxXuWK.jpg

UetVPa0.jpg

lAUHIWi.jpg

1RwNFBx.jpg

Back