Start up: success, then failure!

- cleaned paint on the bars, still no starter from the button.
- checked continuity on starter button.
- I have 12V coming from the wiring harness and LH control.
- when I plug in RH control, I get voltage through the plug.
- when I push starter button, I can see voltage to the BLACK wire through the button.
- when I run a jumper from the switch side of the RH control (Blue/White) to the engine, the starter turns but I have no spark.
- I have voltage to the RED/WHITE wire that goes to the coils. The ORANGE wire, from the ignitor box to the coils, shows 0.66V.

Still no starter from the button. Still no spark.

In the headlight bucket.... it's dark in there. Black, dark green and dark brown are extremely easy to confuse. Might be worth gettin' some good lighting in there and verify everything is going to the right place.

Video links coming, but I made a jumper to ground and the starter button works now. BUT....still no spark, which leads me to believe the TCI may have failed? Also, I get a spark at the plug(s) when I turn OFF the key, but nothing when cranking the bike. What does that mean?

I realized as soon as I stopped recording that I would NOT get spark at the plugs because the coils weren't plugged in. They still don't get spark even after plugging them back in.

With everything connected, I still get no spark when cranking, but I get a spark when turning the key to OFF. Each plug will spark against the head when I cycle the key from ON to OFF.

Pretty sure that's an indication the TCI box went south.
Do a site search for Gonzo ignition. It's a cheap ($20) replacement for the box.
Unless you happen to have a spare box?

Pretty sure that's an indication the TCI box went south.
Do a site search for Gonzo ignition. It's a cheap ($20) replacement for the box.
Unless you happen to have a spare box?
I've been reading up on the Gonzo box. Easy and cheap enough to try. Is there anyone here that can make me the pigtail converter?

Ran a dedicated ground from the frame to the RH control. Starter now works!

No spark, though. Checked connectors at the TCI, checked continuity on the harness from the plug to the coils. My guess is that the TCI has died. In the first video I posted, I should see some sort of voltage spike when cranking if the TCI was sending a signal to the coils, right?

Please! Someone make me a pigtail harness for the Gonzo conversion so I can get this thing running again!

Got the Gonzo CDI replacement hooked up and I have spark! I need to put it back together, neaten up the wiring, add fuel and pull out the timing light...still need to check that the trigger wires are correct. Hopefully, she'll be running again by the weekend!
Gonzo.jpg

Video links coming, but I made a jumper to ground and the starter button works now. BUT....still no spark, which leads me to believe the TCI may have failed? Also, I get a spark at the plug(s) when I turn OFF the key, but nothing when cranking the bike. What does that mean?
The spark at off is the coil field collapsing, the iggy switch is acting like points for one spark. I think.

Back