Starter Gear

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any problems with this gear set? I bought one from xs650direct.com and it was worst than the old one. The starter would just spin. It would not in-gage with the crank. They have great service and sent me another one. I got the replacement in two days. Since my hand is still broke I have not tried the replacement. I might need a scale to check the spring.
Thanks guys.
Bill
B603527A-D898-49BD-911D-572810C15E7B.jpeg

I had the same problem with the Mikes XS gear. I swapped out the spring clutch from my OEM gear to the mikes gear. Had to tighten it a tad, worked much better after that.

The first one from Mikes had about 3 lb pull - I tried to sqaush the clip using the preffered method of putting a piece of 3mm flat bar in the U shape bit and compressing the clip in a vice - I could not get more that about 4 lb. I tried every possible way to crunch that clip with no success and in the end I snapped it. GeoffXS (ausie Mikes) sent another one to me and it is the same, about 3 lb pull - I have no idea what I will do to increase the tension on this one. There are lots of people on this forum that say "just give the U shape bit a bit of a squeeze in a vice and you will end up with 8 lb - without being rude, I am starting to doubt that they do (do they actually measure it).
I had one the other day ( at the place I volunteer) - brand new - 3 lb pull - I suggested to the mechanic that we try to squeeze it a bit - he said dont bother, just fit it - I fitted it and its useless.
I wish somebody could show me how to acheive the 6lb (recommended) or someone invent a new clip.
Regards Ray.

The first one from Mikes had about 3 lb pull - I tried to sqaush the clip using the preffered method of putting a piece of 3mm flat bar in the U shape bit and compressing the clip in a vice - I could not get more that about 4 lb. I tried every possible way to crunch that clip with no success and in the end I snapped it. GeoffXS (ausie Mikes) sent another one to me and it is the same, about 3 lb pull - I have no idea what I will do to increase the tension on this one. There are lots of people on this forum that say "just give the U shape bit a bit of a squeeze in a vice and you will end up with 8 lb - without being rude, I am starting to doubt that they do (do they actually measure it).
I had one the other day ( at the place I volunteer) - brand new - 3 lb pull - I suggested to the mechanic that we try to squeeze it a bit - he said dont bother, just fit it - I fitted it and its useless.
I wish somebody could show me how to acheive the 6lb (recommended) or someone invent a new clip.
Regards Ray.
I've roughed up the ID of the spring clutch a tad with some 80grit and got a bit more friction out of it. Other than that one I've never had one I couldn't tighten up. I think 8lbs is the recommended pull weight.

According to the 1978 factory service manual, spec tension for the clip spring is 4.9 to 5.5 pounds, but right, we've found from experience that a bit more tension doesn't hurt a thing. I've corrected several clip springs using a fisherman's spring scale pulled at a right angle. Never stuck a piece of flat bar in the spring and never had a spring break.

I tightened mine up by squeezing the spring clip in the vise without the 3mm spacer. Never got it to 8 lbs. iirc the best I could get was about 5lbs and with that tension / friction it works fine. The one I took out that was giving me issues has less than 3lbs. Used a digital (luggage) weigh scale on mine.

Back