Starter Gear

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
While I'm waiting on parts to replace my cam chain guide, etc., I thought I'd tackle the starter gear issue. Does the grind/spin thing. The PO replaced the #4 gear with what may be a Mike's XS or similar aftermarket gear. Clip only has about 4 lbs of pressure so that is most of the issue. While cleaning the parts I noticed that inner teeth on the aftermarket are cut differently (first photo) than on the stock gear (second photo). Any thoughts on why this is like that. Also, I picked up an original Yamaha gear in nice condition, except that some of the black material is a bit chipped (second photo). How much does that matter? I'm thinking of trying the original gear instead of the aftermarket one.
20230316_155506.jpg
Gear.jpg

While I'm waiting on parts to replace my cam chain guide, etc., I thought I'd tackle the starter gear issue. Does the grind/spin thing. The PO replaced the #4 gear with what may be a Mike's XS or similar aftermarket gear. Clip only has about 4 lbs of pressure so that is most of the issue. While cleaning the parts I noticed that inner teeth on the aftermarket are cut differently (first photo) than on the stock gear (second photo). Any thoughts on why this is like that. Also, I picked up an original Yamaha gear in nice condition, except that some of the black material is a bit chipped (second photo). How much does that matter? I'm thinking of trying the original gear instead of the aftermarket one.
.View attachment 237963View attachment 237965
Hey NP the hive has decided a small drill bit in the end of the bend before you squeeze it is a good thing. about what will fit in the end radius.
A bit of rubber chipped off is not a problem. Is that the heavier late spring that sits BELOW the little spring shaped cavity?
What year is the motor? (mainly cuz they started putting in the heavier spring about 76)
Haven't heard bad bout the mikes gear but the stocker works even with about half the length of the gear teeth ground away.

Last edited:
It's a 78, and yes it has the heavier one that sits below the cavity as you described. I've read the various threads on squeezing the clip; last one suggested a 3mm spacer, but a drill bit seems like a good approach as well. The original gear and clip has roughly 10 lbs of pressure, so we'd be good to go with that one.

Back